The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Desert Island Reversal

I just re-watched Last Salute. It IS extremely quirky (Columbo's shouted conversation with the foreman, Mac and Kramer's little vaudeville bit at the climax, Clay's "erratically" response, Columbo mumbling, "yaaaaawwwwwwwl", and so on.) In addition, the "'t'isn't" slip by the murderer was sure a lucky break for Columbo! But I still enjoy it because of, not in spite of, its goofball qualities. Although the first time I saw it it drove me crazy!

Re: Desert Island Reversal

Well..it still drives me crazy...but whenever it airs on tv I still watch it....yes it is quite a departure...and Columbo is waaaaaaay over the top...(a foreboding for the newer episodes..)...but it is Columbo nonetheless..even though I get a headache (not a Headache2112! ) everytime I see that scene in the shipyard! It is indeed, a very bizarre episode.

The Conspiritors- Just generally lame. All that TV techno nonsense looks too dated now.

Dagger Of The Mind- As much as I love Honor Blackmon, this farce was a US snapshot of a London which doesn't exsist.

Last Salute to the Commodore- Eh? What the hell is going on here? It threw the Columbo rule book out the window, but not in a good way. Just a load of weird nonsense. As a director Patrick McGoohan is an absolute maniac. I met him and he's a mentalcase in real life too. Totally tonto!

Lady in Waiting, Old-Fashioned Murder, and probably Make Me a Perfect Murder. No sexism intended -- just in order very dull, very lackluster, and two unrelated TV movies welded together. Perfect Murder reminds me of the last CBS Rockford Files movie that was actually a social issue-of-the-week TV movie that just happened to star Jim Rockford.

And no sexism here either....even though I am a woman...but I prefer the episodes where the murderer is a guy. It just sits better with me. Any thoughts on this?

I think a lot of the writers went out of their way to make the female murderers sympathetic. Rather than making those episodes better, it often interfered with the "he got the killer" satisfaction we get when Columbo nails a really nasty villain.

The best episodes are usually those when an arrogant jerk gets what's coming to him - "Murder by the Book", "Suitable for Framing", "Murder Under Glass". A lot of the episodes with female killers try to show that the killer really isn't all that bad and that Columbo regrets nabbing them. Sometimes it works ("Forgotten Lady" is a standout). But a lot of times it doesn't.

Though I loved Ruth Gordon, and thought Vera Miles and Honor Blackman were both pretty cattily good. For some reason, though I've only ever liked her on the X-Files, I feel that Gillian Anderson could do a good job.

Most definitely, Dirk. Maybe it was a sign of the times....but boy!! it was annoying!...I always wanted to see a male murderer..I never really enjoyed the murderer to be a female...........and as you say, the writers tried to make the females sympathetic...a ploy they used with some male ones...it worked for Donald Pleasence...and possibly Johnny Cash...but not for some of those women.....they were tyrants..Beth Chadwick??

All from season 5:

Dagger Of The Heart
A Case Of Immunity
A Matter of Honor

The only out of country episode I liked was Troubled Waters.

Last salute is simply too weird and spooky to grade. I still watch it and wonder whats going on and ive seen it a fair few times.

Forgotten lady is an amazing episode and is on Hallmark on sunday. I forgot all about that. 10 hours of columbo.

God bless,

Matthew