The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Identity Crisis vs. By Dawn's Early Light

Shows you what I know...I have seen that scene and I thought it was Shera Danese!...but I just looked it up in the Columbo Phile and you are exactly right. Thanks Eric!

Re: Re: Identity Crisis vs. By Dawn's Early Light

I also prefer Patrick McGoohan's
performance in "Identity Crisis" over
that in "Dawn's Early Light" (which is
still a fine episode). In "Identity" he
can use his British accent freely whereas
in "Dawn" he has trouble fighting it and
it pops out from time to time". Patrick
is the quintessential spy character
and he can play it to the full in "Identity".

And it occurs to me now that Barbara Rhoades and Leslie Nielsen coincidentally appeared in the same two episodes for their only "Columbo" appearances.

Re: Re: Re: Identity Crisis vs. By Dawn's Early Light

That's interesting, Eric. I didn't make the connection before that Barbara R. and Leslie N. were in the same two episodes.

Mark

I just have one thing to say - MAHJONG!

I like where Brenner says a long sentence in
Chinese that ends
"beaujoulais(sp?)..........C O L U M B O ! "

And he takes that line and draws it out all so slow!! Wonderful...his voice is so rich and different from so many other actors...it is really a treasure. That is how I fell in love with my husband...his voice...it is so gruff and gravely and sexy.....so I know a thing or 2 about voices. Patrick McGoohan's was sublime. His cadence and syntax are beyong compare. And, as was pointed out by YM, his true voice can be heard in Identity Crisis.
And what about that 'little' scene where Columbo visits him at his home while he is having that party and McGoohan is pouring the orange juice?? Such simple scenes like that are just pure splendour.

And don't forget, "You have the wrong room," even after Columbo shows him his badge!

Mark

Another great one Steinmetz/Mark......the way he says it...and he is showing no regard to Columbo whatsoever!....Soooo McGoohan!!!