The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Columbo's passions

Michael...Michael...Michael...you have to understand that this is not memory on my part......this episode is etched upon my brain...and sadly also on my son's brain!! He and I can recite all the lines to the show...it is so pathetic!! He will pull a line on me from time to time....from Etude..and also other Johnny flicks that I watch over and over....and he gets me sometimes...I can't remember what JC movie it was from right away...but he remembers them all......what's not to love there????
And how cool is that, that it was your first Columbo episode..that is terrific!!....what an induction!!....again...I will say "Terrific!'

Re: Re: Columbo's passions

Etude came up again in my reading in the local library this afternoon. While scanning a bio of Bogart, I read about the film Conflict, which he starred in with Sydney Greenstreet. In this film a very similar situation appears like the carnation. Bogart says he remembers the last time he saw his murdered wife she was wearing a rose--but Greenstreet knows he gave her the rose from his own rose garden not long before she was murdered. So, of course, he concludes Bogie killed his wife. Don't think Conflict was amongst Bogie's best, but interesting this was used albeit somewhat differently in Columbo.

Michael..I am ashamed to admit that I have not seen Conflict....I love all those old B&W films...Double Indemnity..Murder Inc.....all the old war films...Castle Keep...Anzio...but the ones I savor are the ganster pics........Bogart was the best...but you had Cagney and Raft and E.G. Robinson..and so many others...
I checked out Conflict on IMDB and it is sadly one that I haven't seen...I can't believe it....it sounds kinda good......the guy on IMDB sounded just like you, he said he didn't think it was a great Bogie film but it was ok.......
I would love to see this one, just for the fact that you mention the flower thingy.................please TCM..come through for me again.

hey jilted???what is your website again? i think i lost it.....i really like your site...very eclectic and funny..............so i will post something there, as i have in the past, and you will totally ignore me again!!!!.....yea!!!!! it sounds like fun!!!
hey.....just post it again...i will write to you on there...and i would invite anyone on this site to check out jilted's site too....it is really cool...

I don't recall ever seeing Conflict in video rental--probably on AMC many years ago. Greenstreet plays an English professor.

Well I checked out the scene in Etude on the 90minute Canadian version and it is just as I had posted earlier....JC must have just screwed up the line!!
In the Canadian one Columbo says.."I'm a fan of yours...a really big fan...." and Alex says..."Are you interested in piano concertos?"

And on the 2 hour version and the 90minute one Columbo says about the typewriter..."Why would a woman who's going to commit suicide type a goodbye note...put it in the machine and take it out again." That is obviously a flubbed line also...he should have said the reverse. Obviously the 2 friends were doing a little partying on the set!!!

Good observations.