The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Where are the children?

An interesting way to categorize the episodes. In those episodes with children, do they play a role in the murder plot? Could it be the villain is killing for financial security for the children in any of them?

Not exactly a child but....

Shatner had a daughter, or was she his ward, in 'Butterflies'?

Re: Where are the children?

Regarding "Ransom for a Dead Man", it
is quite significant that Leslie Williams
hated her step-daughter and was always
trying to get her to leave the house. Thus, she didn't want any kids. I think the point is that the writers are trying to say these rich, spoiled murderers are all selfish people and don't want to have the responsibility of taking care of someone else. Having children is expressing faith in the future, not only their personal future, but humanity's as well. People who are totally self-absorbed don't care about this. I spoke to someone who visited the former Soviet Union after the fall of the Communist regime and the fact is that one saw few children walking around. This is due to the human catastrophe the Communist system wreaked on the societies of Eastern Europe which made children a burden on society.
Recall that in more than one episode, Columbo commented that he had a lot of siblings and he told Kay Freestone that it was "great, we were never lonely". I spoke to someone once who was one of 10 children and he told me the same thing, that he liked it. This is the counterpoint to the selfish murderers we see in the shows.

In Butterfly.... Molly wasnt Fieldings daughter however he did see/treat her that way. Something to do with separating from the mum and then getting back together after Molly had been born... i think.

God bless,

Matthew

Oh just remembered it was mother/daughter in its all the game that was the reason behind the murder, the guy cheating on them both so he deserved to die.. typical feminism lol (only joking).

God bless,

Matthew

Boy, YM...you really get to the crust of the matter...you delve so deep and come up with all this sage wisdom....I love it!
The whole thing about the Soviet Union was quite insightful...you really had my head thinking....thanks!
I too know someone who is the youngest of 10 kiddies...and he has some wonderful stories to tell...I am the youngest of 5 girls and I treasure the memories of growing up with them.
The whole thing about Columbo having children, and in the past..siblings, is well taken....that is the basis of a well grounded childhood...how wonderful....the murderers, as you say, are probably too self-centered to have had children.....let alone a big family, with lots of kiddies.....I have to admit that my husband and I have our "one and only", Alby, but he is more than any parent could ever ask for....he is the best....he is my buddy!!!

....oh...and neither my husband nor I have murdered anyone....

I'm glad to hear that!

Re: Re: Re: Where are the children?

This is why I like Columbo and the Rockford
Files so much, besides being "entertainment", there is a lot of social commentary and psychology presented. The writers for these programs were well-educated people and quite knowledgable about history and society.

The Great Santini had a daughter in Now You See Him

jay!!! excellent!! I forgot all about that!!

Don't forget that he disowned
her because of his fantasies
of racial purity when she started
dating Danny Green who is a Jew
(this was discussed in another
thread).

we won't forget, YM!

Thanks Jay. I forgot about Now You See Him, as well as It's All In the Game, in my original list.