The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Defective

I received Columbo Season #3 on DVD last week from Amazon.com and disc #1 in the middle of, "Double Exposure", the DVD disc freezes up, and I've received a couple of replacements from them and they both has the same defects. I sent them back for a refund. Here is what Amazon told me:

"Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I am sorry that your replacement shipment was also problematic.

As it seems that the problem with this item is more widespread than
we originally thought, we are not able to send another replacement.
We will investigate and remedy the situation with the item; however,
I cannot guarantee when the error may be fixed."

I then went to Wal-Mart and bought a copy there and the same problem was on the DVD, I then exchanged it for another copy, and you guessed it! This morning I went back to Wal-Mart for a refund. Has anyone in this forum experienced the same problem?

Re: Defective

I have!! I got mine at Wal*Mart too. And right about when Columbo is eating the caviar in Double Exposure it jams up! Now this doesn't happen every time...but some of the time....and there are problems with some of the other episodes too.
The problem I have is the fact that I do not have a Wal*Mart where I live. I was on vacation at our other little house when I bought the dvds. That house is an hour away...so I am going to have to wait till we go down there again, to return them. Maybe we will get down there in a few weeks. Boy it really stinks...

Re: Re: Defective

I have seen "Double Exposure" once, and I didn't
see it, I watched once "Any Old Port" and there
was a small problem near the beginning when Carsini
says "may our enemies never be as happy as we are", but a second playing didn't do it.

I had a problem with my set on Any Old Port.. It broke up when he was using the payphone to call re: the weather. I went back and just swapped the first disc and everything is now fine with the set.

Universal is now using DVD 18s (dual layered, dual sided) discs for their TV shows. I have had problems with many of them (Quincy, McCloud, Miami Vice, Murder She Wrote) and so have other people. (Look at the Amazon reviews of these sets as well as threads at thehometheaterforum.com.) Since it is likely that Universal will continure to use DVD 18s, I suggest people try to view their sets ASAP.

I think we need to send Columbo to investigate Universal's DVD media!

That sounds like a good idea, John, getting Columbo on the case!
Look...we waited all this time for the dvds to be released...and they are released without "extras"..unless you consider Mrs. Columbo an extra!!!!......could they at least have a decent quality????

I believe that it is not right when you shell out $35 for any DVD and it is defective, I have Columbo Season One and two and yet to have three third season. I plan to wait until whoever makes the dvd''s fix this problem.

I think ther are hecho en mexico

I didn't quite get your last sentence Damian......but I agree...wait a bit to get season 3.

Hecho en Mexico translates to English simply as
Made In Mexico. Sorry I used my first language which is Spanish

That's ok Damian....I took Spanish in high school for 4 years...I got straight A's .....but I don't regularly use the language so I missed what you said...sorry

Annoying. On my MAGNUM P.I. Season 1 set, a whole episode and the last half of another are completely inaccessible. If anybody else has that set I'm curious if they have the same problem.

Mark