The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Could anyone replace Peter?

I do not believe anyone can ever replace the Columbo character. However, the series helped set the stage for our fasincation with an enjoyment of the genre in television and movies where the viewer excitedly anticipates the trapping or demise of the villain whom we know all along is guilty. The Columbo series is certainly not the only successful example of this.

Re: Could anyone replace Peter?

Quite simply no. Even the idea of it is horrible. If Peter isnt in it then its not Columbo. When Mark McManus left Taggart it wasnt Taggart no matter who was in it and it was garbage (scottish crime drama). Same as the Pink Panther, that was Peter Sellers, wont go near the movies he's not in, tho the ones he is in arent very good.

God bless,

Matthew

you don't like the Pink Panther movies?

I guess when an actor makes a role his own then he has the right to 'retire that shirt'.

Re: Re: Re: Could anyone replace Peter?

Hallo from Denmark, Europe dear Americans

I think Columbo = Peter Falk so......it is not at good idee to replace him

see you!

Hi Jesper...Welcome!

No, i dont find them that funny. Not really a Peter Sellers fan. Loved the cartoons tho, well until they gave the pink panther a voice, why - completely ruined it.

The french detective in it was annoying as well, just as annoying as another actor playing columbo (hows that for bringing it back to the point).

God bless,

Matthew

"(how's that for bring it back to the point)"

Well done Matthew!!!

Remember Peter is the 3rd actor to play 'Columbo' - but of course he is *excellent*.

Maybe so but i absolutely no idea who the others were and neither do so many of the fans who watch it. Peter Falk is Columbo and vice versa and you cant get away from that. As soon as Peter says no more then for me thats it, no spin-offs please.

God bless,

Matthew

I suppose Sean Connery will always be the "real" James Bond and Nigel Bruce the "real" Dr. Watson to some although many others have successfully played those roles. It's odd how some roles are filled by actors, and we can't imagine anyone else playing them--and, when another actor does happen to play them, the audience sometimes accepts the change and sometimes doesn't. I have a feeling it has to do with the depth of the character--Columbo conveys a reality that we can identify with: he's the guy next door with the usual foibles and ordinary shortcomings, but a heck of a nice guy. The more "unreal" a role (Batman, for example or Superman, for another), we can easily accept other actors playing the part. Just an opinion--I'm thinking out loud here, folks.

Oh yeah Bring in the son, have him be a chip off the old block but in the now.I think it'd be fun(if the show or pilot ever gets made),to have the son call the father every now and then for advice but you never see him,(kinda like the original Columbo's wife), but he's not a slouch.He can break bad, and run the bad guy down if he has to.His weapons would be his mind of course, and ... just toying around.... a Jeet kun do expert?Might be a bad Idea I don't know. Of course most,save the police department,would under estimate him to begin with.That was one of the fun things about Columbo Sr.
So yeah frumpy,disarmingly simple/clever, and a bad ass. Have him put naughty CEO's and Politicians in jail. I would have to say though that no one can take Peter Faulk's place.The son would have to have his own quirks.

they could never be columbo but im thinking dennis dugan or chuck mccann would be interesting bumblers. maybe call them delvecchio or something.

Never !!
Lets just be glad we have him amongst all the other greats from the late 60's & 70's .
Im currently enjoying the Mentalist .

Don't know, maybe Alan Davies, his Jonathan Creek character with different scripts and called Frank Columbo could be a new Columbo.

And Keifer Sutherland as Quincy :)