The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Opinions on "Blueprint For Murder"

"Blueprint For Murder" I think automatically rates higher just by virtue of being a first season episode where I've always felt that there's the intangible of a higher standard that's not quite there in subsequent seasons because the Columbo character is not quite weighed down by the gimmicks and quirks we associate with the character as he would in subsequent years (best example is the tag. Only in season 1 would we ever see Columbo heed a doctor's warning about smoking and decide not to light up!).

Patrick O'Neal I think is one of the more underrated Columbo killers. It's ironic that he is the only Columbo killer to have later appeared in the series in a demoted secondary guest role (in contrast to Robert Vaughn, who was still top-billed in "Last Salute To The Commodore").

Also, this episode gets an extra point just for having the last episode scored by Gil Melle, even if most of the cues are just recycled from earlier scores he did in the season.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinions on "Blueprint For Murder"

This is one of the best of the early episodes.
Generally they have weaker plots than the 3,4 and
5th seasons, but this is good. I agree that
the scenes where Columbo is waiting in line
are ridiculous, and the police wouldn't have
to do this, but they are fairly amusing.
I also agree that Patrick MacNeal put in a
great performance and it is suprising that
they would give him a smaller role in
"Make Me a Perfect Murder", although the
scene there in the limo where he destroys
Kay Freestone's career is great. I love it
when he chucks her out of the company, and
then he calmly turns to the chauffeur and
says "let's go to the party, Carl" (this
has become one of our favorite Columbo
phrases in common use around our house
when parties are mentioned!).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinions on "Blueprint For Murder"

"Blueprint For Murder" is one of my favorites of the entire series. It was very well done. Excellent combination of script, music score, acting, and direction. I am glad, however, that it was not the last episode of the series. Fortunately they decided to bring the show back for a second season and beyond.

Re: Re: Re: Opinions on "Blueprint For Murder"

It is possible that Columbo, that didn't always go by the book, would have gone for the permits himself.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I agree with the 8. The scenes in which Columbo deal with bureaucracy may be a tad unrealistic (my guess is the police can get to the head of a line if they're working on a homicide), but makes for good comic relief.

Re: Opinions on "Blueprint For Murder"

Oh...who the heck cares!!....It is just wonderful to hear from you again, Mrs. Peck!!!!

Ok...I'll be good....yes of course, Columbo always worked against the book..he always did things his way...and he always did it as the humble servant...so I can see him standing on line just like the common folk......I know that scene is kind of long...but wow! I love it....to me..it is not filler..it is Columbo!

(HI again, Mrs. Peck!!

Re: Re: Opinions on "Blueprint For Murder"

Thanks for the warm welcome Cass. I havent been on the board as much, because of summer and our upcoming move to Florida.

I always like the sequence of scenes when Columbo goes for the permit, its just how things are when you have to deal with burecrats . Ironically I once had to deal with a local municipality in getting a permit. Luckily I had a friend that was high up in the food chain, and he gave us what is known as a "walk through". I was in and out in less then 15 minutes

No..No..you can't leave and go to Florida!! Yucko!!
Ok...I will leave you alone...but that is yucky!! You will be sweating eternally!!
Seriously though, I wish you a lot of luck and happiness on your move..

It is such a great scene...I love the full scene..not the cut-up Bravo one...it is just so terrific. He truly reminds me of my father in those camera shots...his face is exactly the same as my dad's would have been in the same situation.
The one thing that bothers me in this episode is the lengthy scene at the construction site. It just seems too dragged out for me when they are digging up the pilings.(sp) But I guess that was done for effect....

Re: Re: Opinions on "Blueprint For Murder"

No..No..you can't leave and go to Florida!! Yucko!!
Ok...I will leave you alone...but that is yucky!! You will be sweating eternally!!

Yea and so what, is that a bad thing????? Besides thats what A/C is for. Im going to Florida to get away from the cold, dreary, slushy, icy, snowy Northeast!

Well say hello to my in-laws when you get down there!
But I guarantee you will miss the snow!

um....to keep this on topic...um...er....I liked this episode...and Patrick O'Neal was one sexy dude. I always wondered why he took such a small role in Make Me a Perfect Murder. And also why he wasn't asked back for another shot at guest murderer.