The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Columbo Script Dilemma & Solution!

So Peter Falk and the ABC network head-honcho's are at odds with one another about which script should be the next produced? I have the perfect solution, and it's just so incredibly obvious...

Film both scripts! Then we would have TWO brand new Columbo movies to anticipate! Oh well, I know. I know. Whatever happens will happen when it happens.

A question though... why do any new Columbo movies have to be associated with ABC??? Is there some contract between Universal and ABC that states any new Columbo movies have got to air on ABC or that ABC has to get a first look at any new Columbo movies?

I know that none of you have the answers to this. Well, Ted maybe. I wish Universal and Peter Falk would bring the Columbo "franchise" to another network, or another cable network even. ABC/Family has been having fantastic luck and ratings with "Monk". So much so that the ABC network even ran reruns of "Monk" on the network a year ago. Even the Hallmark cable station would probably treat new "Columbo" better than ABC. A cable network could premiere a new "Columbo" on a Sunday night at 8:00 est, and then encore it again the same night at 10:00 est. Then it would probably run again the following Saturday night. ABC runs the new "Columbo" movies only once and then they aren't seen again for a year or two until they show up on Hallmark or Bravo or whereever. Not to mention that ABC didn't even give the last Columbo ("...Likes The Night Life") any advertising. I had no idea that it was going to air until I happened to see it listed in the local TV listings!

Re: New Columbo Script Dilemma & Solution!

I can't recall where I saw it, but I'm reasonably sure that ABC has had an agreement in place for quite a while for 1 more Colubmo episode. It may have been an agreement for 25 total episodes, which might better explain why we haven't seen more Columbos over the years as ABC might have had a strangle hold on the show. This might explain why we've only seen just a few episodes over the last 7 years or so, and sadly it's looking like the 25th ABC episode may still be a long time coming.

Based on the marketing of the last episode, I tend to think ABC doesn't want to do any more Columbos, but is perhap obligated to do so. The other reason for such few shows in recent years might be Peter Falk's desire for great scripts, However, the last few haven't exactly been Gems, so I tend to believe the production slowdown has more to do with ABC than Falk. Gee you would think with so many years in between episodes that with all that time they'd come up with some emmy winning scripts?

With NBC running out of Law & Order ideas, I'd love to see NBC bring back it's Mystery Movie with Columbo, but I doubt we'll ever see that.

Re: New Columbo Script Dilemma & Solution!

Twice William Link & Peter Falk have sought out other interested networks for broadcasting new Columbos. Several years ago, A&E announced plans to back future Columbos, but instead ABC flexed its contractual muscle to put out "Columbo Likes the Night Life", which pushed for a drastic change in the format of the mystery series sans any advertising budget.

Last year Universal Studios was bought out by the company owning NBC. It was reported Link & Falk courted the new NBC management for new Columbos, but ABC appears to have flexed its contractual muscle once again.

If you recall the various season announcements by ABC many years ago, it had announced the backing of three more Columbos. The first of those three was much delayed release of Columbo: Murder With Too Many Notes. If my calculations are correct ABC can only pull this stunt one last time.

We can only hope for Falk sake that there's a Sean Connery Clause in the contract that states ABC "Pay or Play".