The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: First Choice To Play Adrian Carsini

Interesting.

Speaking of Buono, does anyone know if there was ever a video release of his 1967 caper film WHO'S MINDING THE MINT?, also with Jim Hutton and the late Bob Denver?

Mark

Re: Re: First Choice To Play Adrian Carsini

VHS, yes. DVD, no.

Re: Re: Re: First Choice To Play Adrian Carsini

Thanks, Joe. I saw this movie years ago on TV and am hoping to track it down.

Mark

Although I loved Donald Pleasence in the role, I could definitely see Victor Buono doing a great job as Adrian Carsini.

Re: Re: First Choice To Play Adrian Carsini

Victor Buono would have been great. He also
might have been better than Louis Jourdan in "Murder Under Glass". He would have been a great "heavy" (pun intended). He also appeared as Jim Ignatowski's father in the immortal "Taxi" comedy series.

Without taking away anything from Donald Pleasance, I think Victor Buono would have made an excellent Adrian Carsini.

It seems 'Columbo' was always plagued with the wrong heavyset actors for playing the "heavy" as it were.
Both Theodore Bikel and George Wendt came across as lumpen and sweaty in their portrayals. (To me, Wendt was particulary miscast.)

But Buono as Carsini? I think that final scene - as they share that bottle of table wine before going in for the booking - would have been just as special with the change in casting.

Other key scenes for Adrian that would have been great little showcases for Victor Buono:

His exasperated rage at his brother
His unease due to Karen's attentions
His indignation in the restaurant because of the dessert wine
His desperation while throwing the bottles over the cliff

Other 'Columbo' murderers who could have been played by Mr. Buono?

Jack Cassidy could have shared the wealth. Publisher Riley Greenleaf in "Publish Or Perish" or as the Great Santini in "Now You See Him" might have been vehicles for Buono. (Well, maybe not the Nazi guard background for Santini. But I can see him as Greenleaf acting drunk in that parking lot in order to establish an alibi. He would have made mincemeat out of that couple!)

"The Greenhouse Jungle", in the role of Jarvis Goodland, might have been a great chance for Buono to spar with the Lieutenant.

But there were always great supporting roles as well in the show where he might have shined. Mr. Buono would have made interesting contributions to "Lovely But Lethal", "Farewell To The Commodore", "Double Negative", "Negative Reaction" and "Try And Catch Me".

(With that last one, just the idea of Victor Buono as Martin the lawyer, with his bulk towering over Ruth Gordron as Abigail - and yet being brought down by her indomitable will - brings a smile to me.)

Oh well. Sadly, we'll never know.

Toby