The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Forgotten Lady-30th Anniversary

Good point. I wonder about the dates on which this episode was actually filmed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Forgotten Lady-30th Anniversary

I remember a while back tracking down the broadcast date of the Johnny Carson Tonight Show that is featured in this program, and how it set up an internal conflict in the episode since the show they used was a Friday night Carson show but the action the next day takes place on a Friday or something like that (it's unfortunate we can't look up postings from way back to reconfirm these things). Anyway, the show was from the spring of 75 so they used a very recent one when they did the filming.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Forgotten Lady-30th Anniversary

Like others, I'm watching my copy of this episode which is the only Columbo episode I have with a Mystery Movie opening. Janet Leigh just looks incredibly beautiful in the opening scene in that white gown. She gets my vote for most attractive Columbo killer!

It's also interesting that the first harbinger of her illness is right in the drive home from the premiere when she struggles to remember the name of a theater owner.

Re: Forgotten Lady-30th Anniversary

My copy also has the original Mystery Movie opening...I just love hearing that song!
And I totally agree with you that she is the most beautiful of all Columbo murderers or even characters....I want that white dress!!! I wouldn't look like Janet Leigh in it but darnit...I could dream....
And you are right, Eric, when she is driving home in the car with Ned we see the first glimpse of her illness.
I love the part where they are rehearsing the dance routine and the young punk dancer, says that the whole thing is awkward...and then Ned shoots back in the most fervent voice..."Well you are going to have to make it unawkward.".......What a man!!!
It is such a romantic episode......not only between Grace and Ned....but also between Alma and Raymond. When they are in the kitchen, and then off to the side in the little tv room watching Johnny Carson they are so sweet to one another. And he comments on what a splendid dinner it was and he pours her another glass of wine....it is all so tender....here they are in this enormous ornate mansion, and they sit there in their little space by the kitchen and they still can find romance and love.........Ahhhh..it is so beautiful.
As usual I cried at the end....what a wonderful love story.

Re: Re: Forgotten Lady-30th Anniversary

Even a great episode like this, admittedly isn't perfect, and there is just one flaw in the episode that keeps it from being perfect IMO. I don't mean the fact that Columbo failed to explain away the possbility that Grace could have just fallen asleep when the reel broke, which is minor, or the inconsistency in the Carson show being a Friday show (June 27, 1975 BTW. The guest he's interviewing is Della Reese) and then suddenly the next day is Friday.

Raymond goes back to change the reel and catch it at the precise instant it's ready to make a switch so he doesn't miss much of Carson. In that case, since over fifteen minutes were lost when the reel broke, then isn't it a stretch that Raymond would still arrive at the precise instant that it was time to make a reel change without skipping a beat? Or did they establish that the changes took place on a reel every 15 minutes which would at least explain why Raymond would not arrive to a situation where he'd be thinking, "Hmmm, why does the reel still have this much time to go when it's never been that way before?"

Of course, if Raymond has done this particular film a number of times, he should surely be aware how long the running time is. Unless Grace has only in very recent times started this habit of watching movies late at night and he hasn't yet familiarized himself with how long a particular film runs.

This is the kind of flaw that admittedly isn't as serious since you only really think about it after multiple viewings. That's a testament to how strong the episode is character and story wise!

Well Eric there is one factor why Raymond may not have noticed that the film was running longer than usual.........if you recall he was hitting that chardonnay pretty hard!!!

Re: Re: Forgotten Lady-30th Anniversary

While we are on the subject of anniversaries, I will note that today (September 15, 2005) is the 45th anniversary of when Nora Chandler's husband disappeared.

Very Good David.

And on this date September 15th....Murder by the Book first aired in 1971, and Excercise in Fatality first aired in 1974.