The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What Would You Miss Most?

What little thing about the Columbo character would you miss the most if it wasn't there? Now I know this is a strange question because if it weren't there in the first place, you wouldn't know that you were missing it.... (I think you know what I mean)
Now it can be anything. A prop, a nuance, a saying he repeats...anything at all. Give me your top picks of what you would miss the most....

For me........

Dog...that is a no-brainer for me, and since at times I do not have a brain, it makes this easy for me! I would miss the relationship he and Columbo share....there is so much love and tenderness there. It is a love story for the ages.

Raincoat...I would love to sleep in that thing!! It is all so cuddly and cute and probably so soft after years of wear. Columbo without his raincoat is like an M&M without it's candy shell...you can't have one without the other.

Notebook & Pencil....When he finally finds which pocket he has put them in and pulls them out, you know the chase is on. And as he flips through the pages and jots down all his fascinating ideas with that stub of a pencil...you know you are watching a genius at work. This is one of the reasons I dislike Mind Over Mayhem so much, because he uses a tape recorder instead. (Although that one scene where he mistakenly plays the wrong part of the tape where he is training Dog and saying "Bad Dog" is really very funny.)

Cigar...There have been many people in show business who have used a cigar as a prop. George Burns, Groucho Marx, Alan King, W.C. Fields etc.......I never looked at Columbo's cigar as a prop in the same way that they used it. To him it seemed like his security blanket. A usefull thing to help him think better. He also seemed to use it as a distraction, and to keep the murderers off guard, by having them worrying more about messy ashes and smelly smoke, rather than the questioning Columbo was putting them through.

His politeness....For me the most charming and endearing thing about Columbo is his polite and gentle manner. The "sirs" and the "maams" he is constantly bestowing on everyone is just so adorable. The "thank yous", the "I'm sorrys", the "Pleases" that he is always uttering are just so sweet and touching. I understand that he sometime uses this well-mannered behaviour to throw off a murderer, but I just find it one of the more interesting and beloved qualities of the character. If you think about it there aren't too many other tv detectives (I can't think of any) who have this polite manner about them.

Re: What Would You Miss Most?

I suppose I would miss his obvious tendency to smoke cigars beyond the rest. Even though I am not a smoker myself, this has become so much of Columbo's character that it would just not fit to strip him of the cigar.

Re: Re: What Would You Miss Most?

"Just one more thing Sir/Maam."

Re: Re: Re: What Would You Miss Most?

I think I would miss the sometimes irrelevant--but not always--stories he tells about his family. The wife who paints by numbers, the nephew working his way through community college to go into refrigeration business, etc.

I guess my answer is obvious!

No CigarGeorge I am a little thick!!!

And George was the name of his brother-in-law!!