The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dagger Of The Mind Trivia

Watching "Dagger Of The Mind" tonight and figured I might as well comment on an esoteric bit of trivia regarding the episode that has probably confused a lot of people over the years as they watch this. When Columbo is brought to Scotland Yard and is surprised by the new sterile looking facility, the sergeant says, "I imagine you've seen pictures of the New Scotland Yard. The New Scotland Yard was the old building." Durk arrives before he can explain this to a thoroughly confused Columbo and the audience, but here goes the explanation.

The original Scotland Yard HQ was built on the site where the King of Scotland (when it was not part of the UK) would arrive when coming to London. This was followed by the building that lasted from the days of Sherlock Holmes to the late 1960s, which was called "New Scotland Yard" (the one that the sergeant was referring to), and then the current building that Columbo is brought to but which is still called "New Scotland Yard".

So that's for the benefit of those who never could figure out why the sergeant's description made no sense! :)

Re: Dagger Of The Mind Trivia

Let me see if I got this correct.

First there was "Scotland Yard"

Then it was upgraded and called "The New Scotland Yard"

Then it was moved, but still called "The New Scotland Yard"

Seems to be somewhat confusing. I like our way better. We just say, "downtown" or headquarters"

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Watching "Dagger Of The Mind" tonight and figured I might as well comment on an esoteric bit of trivia regarding the episode that has probably confused a lot of people over the years as they watch this. When Columbo is brought to Scotland Yard and is surprised by the new sterile looking facility, the sergeant says, "I imagine you've seen pictures of the New Scotland Yard. The New Scotland Yard was the old building." Durk arrives before he can explain this to a thoroughly confused Columbo and the audience, but here goes the explanation.

The original Scotland Yard HQ was built on the site where the King of Scotland (when it was not part of the UK) would arrive when coming to London. This was followed by the building that lasted from the days of Sherlock Holmes to the late 1960s, which was called "New Scotland Yard" (the one that the sergeant was referring to), and then the current building that Columbo is brought to but which is still called "New Scotland Yard".

So that's for the benefit of those who never could figure out why the sergeant's description made no sense!

Re: Dagger Of The Mind Trivia

I always wondered about that. I figured it would be something like that. Thanks for the exlanation.

Re: Re: Dagger Of The Mind Trivia

Sounds like a good explanation. I recall a tour guide said Scotland Yard was the site of the old Scotland ambassador's residence--which makes sense that the monarch of Scotland would go there when in London.