The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Greenhouse Jungle question & thoughts

For me in Greenhouse it always seems light on how much time Columbo is on screen, its probably not any different from the others tho. Also seems to have little pace.

God bless,

Matthew

Re: Re: Greenhouse Jungle question & thoughts

Oddly enough this episode was on Channel 5 in the UK last Sunday.

It's an above-average addition to the series and, strangely, a lot better on viewing it again, having last seen it about five years ago.

Ray Milland (who incidentally was born in a town called Neath, which is about 2-3 miles away from where I live) is outrageously sarcastic and hammy from start to finish. In some ways it's an asset to the episode, because he has a certain defiance about him, although the aura of the episode is more playful than tense.

The "bullet in the earth" resolution is not a masterstroke of script-writing, but it is, at least, unexpected.

I would say also that Bob Dishey's character of Sergeant Wilson, does very little to enhance this adventure; Columbo is keen not to deflate the conscientiousness and eagerness of his understudy, but he basically goes against everything that he says al the way through, that is until Columbo credits him with giving him the idea of the metal detector to search for the bullet.

I like this episode pretty much. It is not in my all-time top list but it is enjoyable. Columbo's roll down the hill is worth the price of admission!!
Yes, mat, it does seem that Columbo is not on the screen as much in this episode...maybe because of the addition of Sgt. Wilson.
One thing I thought was rather great about this episode, and it has happened in other episodes too...is how a secondary character actually has an interesting personality. They could have just made Cathy Goodland the normal wife who was cheating on her husband. But they took it a step further and made her so strong and confident and was dismayed at the fact that she thought Columbo was looking down on her for her behaviour. This added an interesting sparring match between him and her.

On a sad note...my Columbo Phile book is falling apart!!!!! Some of the pages are coming unglued!! It is horrible.....I now pick it up and leaf through the pages like I was touching The Dead Sea Scrolls or something......very tragic!!
Just for curiosity sake..who was the person here who lost their copy of the book at an airport, and then found it in a library and photocopied the entire book? I have my guesses but I have a very bad memory at times...I am thinking E or possibly YM...I know I am surely wrong...

Re: Re: Greenhouse Jungle question & thoughts

Cassavetes45, you took the words right out of mouth! Columbo falling down the hill is classic. The first time you see it, it comes as a surprise & you can't help but laugh. Back around 1982, my friend and I were watching this episode at like 2:00am. We nearly died laughing when he took that spill! To this day it's our favorite episode for that reason.

Cigar,(now that just looks silly!! )..CigarGeorge, (that's better )...it really is a terrific scene. It has been discussed here before but it is well worth repeating. I hadn't seen that scene for years because all the repeat airings on tv always cut it out. Well, a friend on another site posted it and it was wonderful to see again, and then the dvds came out and now I have it to see over and over.......it is just amazing that it is actually Peter Falk who is doing the tumbling!
We have discussed here whether it was planned or not, and why did the producers let him get away with such a dangerous tumble....but who cares?? It was fantastic....and it truly was the "fastest way down".

Leighton,

I was just reading that he took his name from 'Milland Road' in Neath, the name originally refering to 'mill land'.