The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Columbo's weakest adversaries

Sorry - my typing is not up to scratch..again - the subject should read as above.

Leighton

Re: Re: Columbo's weakest adversaries

It seems logical to include Ruth Lytton (Joyce Van Patten, "Old Fashioned Murder") among the weakest adversaries of the series. She did not seem to quite know what she wanted to do as the case progressed.

Re: Columbo's weaks adversaries

I think Roddy McDowall gave a great performance, but yes, Roger did not plot out his ability to cover his tracks well since his scheme in effect depended on being sure that his aunt would never want to speak again to William Windom and Anne Francis respectively to hear their side of the story, which would have resulted in Roger being exposed right away.

My top vote for a weak one would have to be Swanny Swanson from Last Salute to the Commodore....he was pretty lame....a real wimp...and here he was a middle-aged man still getting an "allowance" from his uncle...pretty sad.

Re: Re: Columbo's weaks adversaries

I agree that Swsnny Swanson was a weak adversary in Columbo. WHo gets an allowance from his uncle when he is a middle age man. Can't he inherit his money already or what

Re: Re: Re: Columbo's weaks adversaries

I always thought that for as smart as he was, Nelson Brenner ("Identity Crisis") was unbelievably stupid in meeting Geronimo at the amusement park where they were seen and photographed together. It is true that Geronimo mentioned that Brenner thought that it was actually better to meet at a public place, but it sured backfired. Also, when Columbo first meets him and he keeps saying "you have the wrong room" for no apparent reason, it is sure to draw attention to himself.

Also, Alex Benedict ("Etude in Black") was really stupid for two reasons: (1)in insisting that Jennifer Wells "had to have committed suicide". As someone who was supposedly uninvolved, when Columbo said he thought it was murder he should have acted shocked and said "you had better find this despicable person who did this!". It sounds very strange for him to insist that it was suicide since he had no direct interest in the case.
(2) picking up the flower in such an obvious way in front of Columbo was dumb also. Why didn't he just stick it in his pocket?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Columbo's weaks adversaries

I think Alex benedict thought that no one was looking and he could of put on the carnation on his lapel but Columbo was there and as usual he was snooping around

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Columbo's weaks adversaries

If the action was good enough to repeat in "Matlock: Diary of a Perfect Murder" years later, it could not have been so stupid. What is the big difference between a carnation and a name tag anyway?

YM..I agree that Nelson Brenner and Alex Benedict come off as terrifically inept and stupid. Your reasons are valid. But in both those cases I have always chalked it up to the fact that they were just so overly confident that they would never get caught. Brenner had the "agency" to protect him, and Alex was just a cocky son-of-a-gun!

Re: Re: Columbo's weaks adversaries

When "stuff" like that happens I attribute it to the murderers being first-timers. Remember that great speech Columbo has in Prescription: Murder when he says that even though a murderer may be brilliant, he has just one chance; but cops have done investigations hundreds or thousands of times?