The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Favorite non-Columbo performance

I'd have to go all the way back to my first encounter with Peter Falk. I'd have to maneuver the rabbit ears on my old black and white to get an episode of his short-lived lawyer series "Trials of O'Brian." I'll never forgive CBS for cancelling it way back in the 60's.

Re: Favorite non-Columbo performance

"The In-Laws" -- an all-time classic.

By the way, if you notice, he's wearing Columbo's shoes.

Michael that is another goodie! I don't remember the series that well when it was on but I do have the pilot episode on tape which is called Too Many Thieves. You can see the first beginnings of a Columbo character in his portrayal of Danny O'Brien.

And how much would I need to bribe your sending me a copy? Or is that illegal?

Lets face it people, the man is excellent in everything he does. So picking a favorite non-Columbo performance is very difficult!

I think I've got to go along with Ted - and not just to get on his good side! - and say that Falk's performance in "The In-Laws" is top o da heap. However, extra special mention has to go (again) to Falk's taxi-cab driver in "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World". "I tell ya, the cops in this town are all morons!" Hysterical!

Way to go Headache! Rack up those brownie-points from Ted!!

But you are right. Peter really has a great resume of performances under his belt. I mean, I practically named half of all the stuff he has ever been in.

Well, I have a potentially ugly confession to make: The truth is, I am much more a "Columbo" fan, than a Peter Falk fan.

That is, I have enjoyed Peter's performances in a number of other projects, and I do regard him as an acting genius who improves everything he participates in. But, I don't feel a pressing need to view or collect everything he has ever done.

So, along the way, I have neglected to see some of even his most celebrated performances. I've never seen him in "The Great Race", or "The Princess Bride", or "Robin and the 7 Hoods" (or, even more embarrassing, I have caught these movies but it was so long ago that I've forgotten Peter's contributions). I've seen and enjoyed "Woman Under the Infuence", but never "Husbands" nor, I suppose, most of his collaborations with Johnny.

I'll certainly watch him if the movie is otherwise of interest to me, such as his remake (with Woody Allen) of "The Sunshine Boys".

I've never seen any of his "Christmas angel" TV-movies (in fact I have 2 of them on tape, but have never made time to sit through them). And I don't run out to catch all of his new movies -- although I did catch up with a few things like "Made" and even the otherwise embarrassing "Corky Romano", on DVD (so it's not like Peter's appearance isn't enough to tempt me to watch the otherwise unwatchable).

With regard to all of his "new" movies, my reaction is that I'm delighted to see Peter so much busier than ever, and exploring a whole range of interesting material. But, probably the truth is that it makes me happy mainly because I hope it increases the likelihood of ABC deciding to haul out its checkbook and pay him for a new "Columbo".

There's no doubt in my mind that Peter has proven himself to have first-rate acting chops, and that by no means is he a one-character actor. It's just that I make no secret of which Peter Falk character is my favorite. And maybe that's because I suspect that my favorite character is the one most like Peter Falk himself.

To end on a more positive note, I think nobody has yet mentioned "Wings of Desire". I admit, it took me about 3 nights to get through the tape, because there just wasn't enough Peter Falk in it, and the subtitles made me snooze. But -- without giving away the big surprise for those who've never seen it (which I hope no one else will do here, either!), the final revelation about Peter Falk himself, really blew me away. Whoa! No wonder he agreed to make this movie, and the sequel.

Ted, I have said it before, but I'll say it again (I like repeating myself!! ) you really have a way with words. Just terrific.
I loved your opinion on why the Columbo character appeals to you the most...because the character is the most like Peter himself...very good!
You have intrigued me on the movie Wings of Desire. I have heard of it, but I have never seen it. I will definitely rent it. (and I promise not to reveal the ending) You mentioned a sequel...what was that called?

Cassa, I believe the title of the "Wings of Desire" sequel is (in English), "Far away -- so close!". But I've never seen it.

For me, it is a tie between "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" and "The Great Muppet Caper."

Ted, the one movie I would say you should "definitely" check out is "The Great Race". As a movie in itself, it's pretty good, but not great. I find The Great Leslie character (Tony Curtis) to be rather boring. What really makes the movie is Jack Lemon's Professor Fate and Peter Falk's character, Max. Lemmon and Falk are hysterical together.

I haven't seen all of the movies that Peter Falk has been in either. I've never seen "Husbands" or "A Woman Under..." I've never heard of "Wings of Desire". I did see "Corky Romano" - which was pretty bad - but I haven't seen "Made". I was very disappointed that "Shark Tale" had such little input from Peter Falk. I tried watching one of those Christmas movies of his, but found it way to smaltzy. I'm still hoping to see his newest movie, "The Thing About My Folks".

I took a look at the movies and some TV shows that Peter Falk is credited for and I now realize that I've seen very few of his performances! Here's a list of his stuff (minus "Columbo") with an "X" next to what I've actually seen. Not very much.

The Thing About My Folks (2005) .... Sam Kleinman
When Angels Come to Town (2004) (TV) .... Max
X-Shark Tale (2004) (voice) .... Don Feinberg
Checking Out (2004) .... Morris Applebaum
Finding John Christmas (2003) (TV) .... Max
Wilder Days (2003) (TV) .... James 'Pop Up' Morse
Undisputed (2002) .... Mendy Ripstein
3 Days of Rain (2002) .... Waldo
The Lost World (2001) (TV) .... Reverend Theo Kerr
A Town Without Christmas (2001) (TV) .... Max
X-Corky Romano (2001) .... Francis A. 'Pops' Romano
Made (2001) .... Max
Hubert's Brain (2001) (voice) .... Bailey
Enemies of Laughter (2000) .... Paul's Father
X-Lakeboat (2000) .... The Pierman
A Storm in Summer (2000) (TV) .... Abel Shaddick
From Where I Sit (2000) (TV) .... Abe
Vig (1998) (V) .... Vinnie
Roommates (1995) .... Rocky Holzcek
Cops n Roberts (1995) .... Salvatore Santini
X-The Sunshine Boys (1995) (TV) .... Willie Clark
Tune in Tomorrow... (1990) .... Pedro Carmichael
In the Spirit (1990) .... Roger Flan
X-Vibes (1988) .... Harry Buscafusco
Himmel über Berlin, Der (1987) .... Der Filmstar
... aka Wings of Desire (USA)
X-The Princess Bride (1987) .... The Grandfather
Happy New Year (1987) .... Nick
X-Big Trouble (1986) .... Steve Rickey
...All the Marbles (1981) .... Harry Sears
The Great Muppet Caper (1981) (uncredited) .... Tramp
X-The In-Laws (1979) .... Vincent J. Ricardo
The Muppets Go Hollywood (1979) (TV)
X-The Brink's Job (1978) .... Tony Pino
X-The Cheap Detective (1978) .... Lou Peckinpaugh
X-Mikey and Nicky (1976) .... Mikey
X-Murder by Death (1976) .... Sam Diamond
Griffin and Phoenix: A Love Story (1976) (TV) .... Geoffrey Griffin
A Woman Under the Influence (1974) .... Nick Longhetti
A Step Out of Line (1971) (TV) .... Harry Connors
Husbands (1970) .... Archie Black
Rosolino Paternò: Soldato... (1970) .... Peter Pawney
X-Castle Keep (1969) .... Sfc. Rossie Baker
Intoccabili, Gli (1968) .... Charlie Adamo
... aka Machine Gun McCain (USA)
Anzio (1968) .... Cpl. Jack Rabinoff
A Hatful of Rain (1968) (TV) .... Polo Pope
Luv (1967) .... Milt Manville
Penelope (1966) .... Lieutenant Horatio Bixbee
Brigadoon (1966) (TV) .... Jeff Douglas
Too Many Thieves (1966) .... Danny
"The Trials of O'Brien" (1965) TV Series .... Daniel O'Brien
X-The Great Race (1965) .... Maximillian 'Max' Meen
Italiani brava gente (1965) .... Medic Captain
Ambassador at Large (1964) (TV)
Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964) .... Guy Gisborne
X-It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963) .... Third cab driver
The Balcony (1963) .... Police Chief
Pressure Point (1962) .... Young psychiatrist
Pocketful of Miracles (1961) .... Joy Boy
The Million Dollar Incident (1961) (TV) .... Sammy
Cry Vengeance! (1961) (TV) .... Priest
The Secret of the Purple Reef (1960) .... Tom Weber
X-Murder, Inc. (1960) .... Abe 'Kid Twist' Reles
Pretty Boy Floyd (1960) .... Shorty Walters
The Power and the Glory (1959) (TV) .... Mestizo
... aka Play of the Week: The Power and the Glory
The Bloody Brood (1959) .... Nico
Wind Across the Everglades (1958) .... Writer

Hey Headache! I know how much you LOVED Mikey & Nicky!!!