The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Song on Columbo movies

Hello fellow Columbo fans,

Here's a trivia question for you:

Who sang the song "I'm so lonesome I could cry" in the following Columbo movies:

"Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo" (1990)
"It's All In The Game" (1993)

Carlotta

Re: Song on Columbo movies

Anonymous studio musicians. But if you like that rendition, check out the version by The Cowboy Junkies. The Columbo version copies it almost perfectly.

This is in the FAQ, by the way (linked from home page), so obviously a lot of fans like the song.

Re: Re: Song on Columbo movies

Duh! It was stupid of me not to look in the FAQ first. I'll look into the CJs. Thanks for being patient with my redundant question.

Columbo rocks!

Song on Columbo movies (I'm so Lonesome I could Cry) from Columbo: It's All In The Game

I can't Find out who performed "I'm So Lonesome I could Cry". Someone suggested that the Cowboy Junkies version is close. That person is correct. It is close, but still not as good as the version played in "It's All In The Game"........Faye Dunaway & Claudia Christian were the murderers.

The two TV series that had the best music in them (I am not talking abvout the theme songs) were:

1) Columbo

2) Curb Your Enthusiasm

With respect to the great music that is in Columbo episodes, it is difficult to find out much about the songs........

Hi Carlotta. I hope you understand that I wasn't scolding you for asking you a recurring question, or for not checking the FAQ -- I just wanted you to know that you have lots of company in enjoying that bit of Columbo music.

I think that the FAQ answer also names a CD or 2 where the CJs' recording can be found.

Hi Ted, I didn't take offense at your reply. I was annoyed with myself. I'm a tech writer and should know to read all of the documentation before asking questions.

I didn't realize how much the song affected others. But anyone who's lost someone for whatever reason can feel the poor lady's pain as she dances to the song and the slides. I always have a tear or two to spare for that scene.

And then it was cool to recognize the same song in another Columbo episode.

Perhaps you've all discussed before how you can learn of the advancements in technology by watching Columbo movies. We start with the manual typewriter, shag rug, and rotary telephones and arrive up to the latest in technology. And who says that television is junk food for the mind? Someone who never watched Columbo movies, that's who.

The song is certainly a good one but my question is, Is Vivian holding a pet dog or cat while she listens to the song? I know that she is not dancing.

I was wondering the same thing! (as i tried shazaming the song).

And here we are 14 years later (2019) and i was wondering the same thing. Tried to 'shazam' it, but shazam couldn't identify it. Searched w/google, & found *your* query & subseqent answers. I can confirm that that version is very much like the Cowboy Junkies' version... who i hope you've subsequently discovered & liked.

I came here to find out WHO the singer on this particular recording is.

Try Dottie West. Her version of “I’m So Lonesome” is as close as I have been able to come to matching that lovely voice on the Columbo episode. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you!

No, Cowboy Junkies version is much closer.......but even the Cowboy Junkies version is not as good as the version that is in the two episodes of Columbo. I am assuming that both versions (in the two Columbo episodes) are the same.