The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Publish Or Perish/other film

Hey Santini!! Great(you see how I used your full name...I got the Great part in there! ) to hear from you again.
I think that one definitely counts. It is very subtle, but it is really a sure reference to Troubled Waters....I don't think Columbo went on more than one cruise in his life.

Re: Re: Publish Or Perish/other film

Great to hear from you as well cassavetes, and it's very nice of you to use my full name, especially since it is probably more than 45 days since I have last been here (errr, that attempt at returning the favour didn't work, did it? ).

And as much as he deserved to, I'm sure Columbo wasn't likely to have gone on another cruise. Maybe he went on a boat (ship?) that sailed across the Thames when he was in London (not sure if that would have been possible, but it would have been nice to see I guess), but not another cruise. If he had sailed across the Thames, maybe he could have been reading the London Times while travelling on the London Thames . Or maybe I should stop being silly .

Don't ever stop being silly Great Santini...it wouldn't fit you.
And I loved the clever way you inserted the 45 in...it definitely worked for me!!
It's funny that you mention the Thames...because I was talking to my sister today and she pronouced it like rhyming with "James" and I had to correct her...but I did it nicely.
Other boat/ship/yacht trips that Columbo took were in Dead Weight..his frightful journey with General Hollister....and The Last Salute to the Commodore..where he rides off in the rowboat.

Re: Re: Publish Or Perish/other film

To be fair, the first time I saw Thames written down, I assumed it was pronounced with the "aims" sound, like "James" is, so it's an easy mistake to make, and on that is much easier if nobody has ever corrected you. Who knows how many words there are which I could encounter and not be sure of the correct pronunciation? No doubt a great many.

As for Columbo's watery expeditions, let us not forget that he dabbled in the shallow end of the pool in "The Most Crucial Game", getting his foot wet enough that he had to walk around without one of his shoes. If not a boat/ship/yacht trip, can we at least call that a paddle, albeit an unintentional one?

It's a stretch....but since I am in a good mood, I'll buy it!! Nut!!!