The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Columbo ad infinitum

You are not seriously comparing Levinson and Link to Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Dickens, Twain and Shakespeare, are you? Plus, I don’t know of anybody, except perhaps museum guards, that indulge themselves in the same statue or painting every day. Nor is there anybody I’ve ever met that reads one author every day for years. In addition, have you ever seen the same theatrical production 20 times over 30 years, for example, “Mousetrap” in London? Even then, the cast changes. I love Columbo, and I’ve seen them all many times over the course of three decades, but when you’re lying on the couch, not making any money, even the hardiest of us can get a trifle tired of them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Columbo ad infinitum

Okay, I confess. I'm an English instructor, and I've taught Hamlet and Huckleberry Finn more times than I can possibly count. AND I continue to find the works of both authors fascinating stuff. Shakespeare and Twain (though Twain didn't believe Shakespeare wrote the works attributed to him) were creative geniuses. I cannot emphasize this enough: I see and thus appreciate something new each time I reread one of their works. As I also see something new in Columbo episodes each time I view them--yeah, there's a comparison!!

Re: Columbo ad infinitum

That was quite beautiful Micahel.

And as far as Shakespeare is concerned, King Lear is my all time favourite...and then Coriolanus. I can read them over and over.

Re: Re: Columbo ad infinitum

The reason why a columbo fan watches episodes of columbo over and over again is becasue with each additional view you learn something about the episode. For example I watched Identity Crisis about thirteen times already and watched it again on Sunday night and I finally noticed that the same van followed columbo where every he went. You can watch the same episode over an over and always get something new becuase you could of missed something than a fellow columbo fan mentions it and you re-watch it and say I never knew that or never noticed it until it was pointed out

Re: Re: Re: Columbo ad infinitum

I know why Columbo fans watch episodes over and over. As a matter of fact I’m responsible for two of the entries included in “Goofs 3.” In all reality, however, there’s not that much to glean. I’m here to tell you that after three decades of watching these shows you can hit a saturation point; at that juncture you need to let them “vintage” a while.

James said.."Nor is there anybody I've ever met that reads one author every day for years."

um....James, you have "met" someone like that...............me...a bit of Shakespeare everyday is my dose of sanity. Or maybe insanity.

You are then unique, and I applaud that. But are your readings exclusive to Shakespeare? Do you read an entire play each day, in chronological order, and then cycle back around and do it again? Plus, the amount of work generated by Shakespeare greatly exceeds that of Steven Bochco.

Sure you need a rest from the show...you can't be watching it everday. But you do see Damian's point that with each viewing there seems to be something that you may have missed in the past. I have been watching since the outset of the show's beginnings (I am not a "youngin" like most of these guys here. You youngins you!! ) and each time I pop in a tape or a dvd of the show I invariably find a little nugget that I hadn't noticed before.
And as far as it being compared to fine art and literature...I suppose things are all relative. In the tv world Columbo could definitely be considered art....compare it to Three's Company or Alf...I think as far as shows like that are concerned, Columbo would definitely be my Shakespeare.

I’ve been trying to emphasize that I ain’t no youngin’ neither like. I’ve been watching them since the beginning too. If that “45” is indicative of anything, then maybe we…

[In case you’re wondering…I am indeed a student…one that is known colloquially as a “returning” student.]

I whole-heartedly agree with your assessment – things are relative and must always be kept in perspective.

Well of course Shakespeare's work exceeds Bochco's....I understand that. And no, I don't read a whole play a day. And I also read other authors. But I have to have my Billy Shakes everyday.....and if I am in a low mood it may be a passage that I have read over and over..to the point that I really don't have to even open the book, I could just recite it in my head...
But as I said in my last post...I believe it is all relative....For me literature means Shakespeare, Ibsen, Anton Chekov, Poe..etc...that is art...and for tv....it means Columbo...that is art too.

Agreed...

(But I really have to include Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone too)

Don't turn wimpy on me James! Just kidding!

Rod Serling was the best! What a genius! And I think he was highly unappreciated in his day...much like Orson Welles. My favourites of TZ have to be The Long Morrow with Mariette Hartley(so bitterly sweet), The Changing of the Guard with Donald Pleasence(beautiful story), Time Enough at Last with Burgess Meredith (as a reader, I loved this one)

Wimpy? Naw…just accept a point well made by another when they agree with me – since I’m (usually) right.

Could start a decades-long thread on the TZ…but have an early class this a.m. I will say, however, that Time Enough at Last is my all-time fave.

Well this was entertaining…stumpled across this site a couple of years ago when trying to figure out which brand(s) of cigars Peter Falk settled on (even tho cigars make him ill). Submitted a couple of goofs and then sort of forgot about it until I saw Bye-Bye again this weekend and thought…hmmm, let me see what others think – "try that site again."

Well..I wasn't here when you were back then, so it is great to "meet" you now.
That is terrific that you like the same TZ as me. It was so good, and yet, so sad and ironic.
Good luck in class tomorrow.

I know why I do! I have such a bad memory the story line is totally fresh to me!! My husband gets infuriated with me! 'You've seen this one!'' This is the one.....'

Poor man! But great for me. I have visions of myself sat in an old peoples home watching them reel to reel with my blanket over my knees! I'm not 40 til next year!

Simply because they are great to watch for so many reasons. I've seen 68 out of 69 and yes there are some pretty poor episodes but i'd rather watch those ones than any episode of murder she wrote or any other detective show.

As said so many times the only one i havent seen is Murder with too many notes. When someone decides its worth screening again i'll be very very happy until the power goes out.

God bless,

Matthew