The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Columbos Trenchcoat

The original was a Cortefiel, made in Spain in the early 1960s, so you can pretty much forget getting that exact model.

Your best bet is to try the Salvation Army, or Goodwill, or any other used-clothing outlet. The more "used", the better.

You'll find a very detailed description in the "Columbo's Raincoat" article, in the Scrapbook section of this site. But, for purposes of reasonable authenticity, and to be recognizable as Columbo for the non-experts who will see you, it's sufficient that the raincoat be single-breasted, and preferably quite short. (Please do not wear a Bogart-style, double-breasted, belted trench coat as Columbo.)

It's a big plus if you can find one with lapels that resemble a suit-jacket's lapels (instead of the simpler, shorter collar on most single-breasted raincoats), but I wouldn't count on finding that. Even better if the pockets have flaps, or if it has the hard-to-get "french cuffs" with buttons.

Like I said, get it single-breasted, short, and well-used, and you'll look fine. Have fun!

Thanks Ted for this Info!

Its not easy to find something like Columbos Raincoat - and in Germany it would be somethings more difficult.

Probably I wil find a nice Trench on eBay ;)

Thanks a lot!

Greetings Patrick

Re: Re: Columbos Trenchcoat

You might want to try sleeping in for a few nights to give it that authentic Columbo look.

How did it go? Did you have a cigar as well?