The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Columbo: Lady In Waiting

This is an overlooked "Columbo" film . I enjoyed this one. Peter Falk and Susan Clark star in this excellent "Columbo". I liked the overall atmosphere in this one. Susan Clark murders her brother but makes it look like an accident. One of my favorite scenes is when Columbo visits a parlor and is puffing on a cigar in the lobby. I liked the music that was playing in this scene. Susan Clark did a first rate job playing her role in this. This one has some humor in it, it was tense and funny at the same time. This one aired December 15, 1971. That was quite a long time ago.

I hope Peter Falk will make another "Columbo" film one day. He looks pretty good for 78 years old. It is also too bad that he did not make a comeback as Max the angel for CBS. He made three TV movies as MAX . The last one they made "When Angels Come To Town" was the best one to me. He looked healthy in this movie. Peter Falk should make more of an effort to shoot another "Columbo" film. I hope it will happen some time soon. Peter Falk has some films in the can, they are

1.The Book of Joe
2.Retirement
3.3 Days of Rain
4.Checking Out

I hope we will get to see these movies next year in 2006. I hope they will come out soon. I have enjoyed Peter Falk's work on "Columbo" and in his other films away from "Columbo". Peter Falk's movie "The Thing About My Folks" has still not made it to Seattle, I am very dissapointed in that fact. I will probably have to wait for DVD to see it, I am not to high on seing this movie now. It might not be that good. I saw the preview to this movie at "The Man". Thanks for reading everybody and Happy Holidays.

Re: Columbo: Lady In Waiting

It was one of my favourites too. I still find it hard to believe though, that she was so stupid as to order her new car before the murder. But apart from that it was a great show.

Re: Re: Columbo: Lady In Waiting

There was a unique script with which to work because "Lady in Waiting" is one of the rare episodes where the killer admits shooting the victim. Therefore, there is not the usual array of multiple suspects. Aside from the theory of conspiracy with Peter Hamilton, which is not seriously considered, it is basically "Was it an accident or deliberate?" This makes for a stronger tension toward Beth Chadwick's interaction with Columbo.

It is more clear cut that Columbo's presence suggests suspicion of her guilt. He cannot hide behind the guise of "Everyone is a suspect." This unusual situation helped to make "Lady in Waiting" a terrific episode, as the killer showed a sharper than usual tongue toward Columbo and it makes the ending all that more satisfying.

Re: Re: Re: Columbo: Lady In Waiting

I agree that purchasing the car in advance was a bad clue. Not only was it bad, it was unnecessary - the newspaper was enough to give Columbo reason to suspect her.

I'm personally partial to the end of the episode, when the music kicks in and Columbo, lighting a cigar, stands on the doorway to contemplate what just happened. I don't know what it is about that image but I love it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Columbo: Lady In Waiting

Just to play devil's advocate:

I think Beth wanted to start being her own person before planning the murder; she bought a car, made known her boyfriend to her family, and they (her mom and brother) told her she could not!!

I think the car was something she did before she planned the murder. Just a possibility.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Columbo: Lady In Waiting

I agree that purchasing the car was not all that dumb. Remember, this was a family who could afford to purchase cars like you and I can afford to purchase bubble gum.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Columbo: Lady In Waiting

Thank you, David.

The way I saw it, Beth was starting her independence at the beginning of the episode.

And by the way, Hollywood doesn't always play for the intelligent audience. See the goofs page!

-------------

I'm just thankful that my cable has at least one station airing the Columbo's at least once a week.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Columbo: Lady In Waiting

This episode is one of my favourites. I really enjoy the interplay between Beth and Columbo - as someone has noted she does have a very sharp tongue.

I also like the fact that Columbo really does appear to be stumped at how to prove that Beth committed the murder. The inquest clears her and she explains away two of the further clues that Columbo finds.

I love the scene with the lightbulb in the boardroom and the final scene - a great line from Columbo to defuse the situation.

www.20six.co.uk/jiltedbarfly