The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UK Season 3 DVD problem

I got my Season 3 DVD set from Amazon.co.uk today. It's a 4 DVD set with a completely different cover from the US version. The box was factory sealed but contained 2 copies of disk 3 and no disk 4! Has anybody else had this problem?

Re: UK Season 3 DVD problem

I can't answer your query unfortunately but I'd contact Amazon a.s.a.p. Their customer service is good and I'm sure you'll have a replacement post haste.

I suspect it's just a 'rogue' unit, I can't imagine they're all like this.

BTW is the bonus episode of "Mrs Columbo" included in the UK set does anyone know?

Re: Re: UK Season 3 DVD problem

As far as I know, the Mrs Columbo episode is not included on the UK version. It could be on Disk 4 I suppose

According to the review at amazon.co.uk mrs columbo is included. Plus the picture on the front is much better.

God bless,

Matthew

Re: Re: UK Season 3 DVD problem

But that review is by "Paul Gaita, Amazon.com", so is actually a review of the US version.

I have both the U.S. and the UK version. By comparison:

- The UK set is on four one-sided discs and hopefully, it will work as it should. The U.S. version, on the other hand, is on two dual-sided discs which are prone to problems. (Mine freezes in the middle of two episodes, and other people on this board have reported of similar problems. This is why I decided to get the UK set, though I already had the U.S. version.)

- No Mrs. Columbo included in the UK version. (Well, I haven't bothered to watch it anyway, though I have it on the U.S. version).

- I agree that the picture of Peter Falk on the cover of the UK version (from the 1970s) is much more appropriate for the 3rd season than the one on the cover of U.S. version (which, I suppose, is from the late 1980s or early 1990s).

- Another minor difference: in the U.S. release, the original Universal logos that appear after the end credits of each episode have been removed, while on the UK version they are still there. I prefer originality, but this is meaningless really (others won't probably care or even notice).

- Picture quality is about the same (with the typical pros and cons of NTSC and PAL, but if you have good multi-region equipment, the differences are minor).

Sorry to hear you got a defective set. My UK set has discs 1-4 as it should. Amazon will no doubt correct the problem, but things like that are always a hassle.