The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My favourite (and least favourite) episodes.

I suppose I'm not the first to comment that the midget with the question mark mask posed the whole question of the meaning of life?? Or maybe that people who rise to the zenith of power do by making themselves smaller and selling out all their beliefs to the point that they are quesion marks?? Of course, I haven't seen that episode since I was 14--but it made quite an impact.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My favourite (and least favourite) episodes.

Well as a former member of the "Six of One" fan club I disagree that McGoohan didn't like the shows fans.

He is the President of the fan club which, given he is a noted man of principle, I find it hard to think he would accept if he didn't like the fans.

Six of One fans were disappointed that he always declined their requests to attend the conventions, however, the prevailing opinion among fans was that McGoohan didn't attend so as to preserve the mystique of the show.

I think McGoohan realised that it was the endless speculation about what various episodes meant was part of what kept the show alive.

Re: My favourite (and least favourite) episodes.

I agree with Barfly on this one. McGoohan has stated that he has answered all the questions he wants to on the Prisoner; not because he dislikes the show or the fans, but rather because the show was intended to make viewers think and question everything, and if McGoohan were to spell it all out it would defeat the point. There would be nothing left to question if he gave us all the answers. Also, he drives a limited edition, (chassis number 6!), Prisoner replica Lotus Seven. Is that the action of a man who dislikes The Prisoner or the fans?