The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Dr. Fleming's Mistress' House on the Radio

The best part about that scene in the home of Barry Mayfield (Leonard Nimoy) was that they played the theme song from "Ransom For a Dead Man" in the background.

Re: Re: Re: Dr. Fleming's Mistress' House on the Radio

Being a huge Murder by the Book fan, I enjoyed this post.

Is there any similar info on Ken's Log Cabin?

Re: Re: Re: Dr. Fleming's Mistress' House on the Radio

I didn't know about the music. I'll have to listen more carefully. I got caught up watching Columbo helping himself to the buffet and then getting indigestion.

Re: Dr. Fleming's Mistress' House on the Radio

I think "Publish or Perish" also reuses the tune from "Ransom for a Dead Man", much in the same way as "A Stitch in Crime" does. There is a scene where Riley Greenleaf (Jack Cassidy), seemingly very drunk, chrashes a party to meet the author and soon-to-be murder victim Mallory (Mickey Spillane) as well as his agent (Mariette Hartley) and his new publisher. In the background, the tune in question is being played on the piano.

"Ransom for a Dead Man", "A Stitch in Crime" and "Publish or Perish", among several other early episodes, all had scores by Billy Goldenberg. Of course, if it is possible to rearrange an old tune for scenes like this, then that is what the composer is going to do (rather than create completely new music every time background music etc. is needed). So it is only natural that music was recycled in Columbo as well as houses.