The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Columbo's first on-screen appearence in each film

An interesting observation. This is one Columbo that varied from the tried-and-true formula and actually worked. It's been years since I've seen this episode but wonder if this change was made because the rest of the story was so different: He's on a vacation cruise won by his wife and he must solve the case without any aid from the department (lab, etc.)

It also happens in Candidate for Crime and Make Me a Perfect Murder.....and I believe also in A Matter of Honor.......
Oh Dear!! I haven't watched my Columbo tapes in so long.....I am getting rusty on the details!! But I am sure about Candidate.

And he also appears before the murder attempt in "The Most Dangerous Match."

Re: Re: Columbo's first on-screen appearence in each film

He also appeared before the murder in Columbo Cries Wolf. Boy, did he appear before the murder.

(in Troubled Waters it is approx. 12 seconds before he is seen on-screen)

To be cynical, columbo doesnt appear in no time to die. It looks like columbo, sounds like columbo (most of the time) but it aint columbo.

God bless,

Matthew

Which one is that? (I'm not much good at remembering the films from title only)

Stephen, No Time To Die was a real stinkeroo episode. I can't stand it. It is the one where Columbo is at his nephew's wedding and the bride gets kidnapped by some whack-O! It is a very creeepy episode. And Peter's performance leaves a bit to be desired.

Thanks Cassa, I know the one you mean, I didn't mind it but I certainly would not say it is a favourite.

I saw Forgotten Lady yesterday, the time of Columbo's first appearence was around 22 minutes not including the time taken by commercial breaks. (I timed this on my VCR counter so it might be slightly inaccurate)

How about if everytime someone watches a Columbo they leave the time of his first appearence on this thread (if no-one hasn't already done so) and that way we can build up list gradually (and say if this included commercial breaks or not)

An interesting point about this film was at the end when a puzzling moment from near the begining was cleared up. When the butler was banging on the bedroom door calling Dr Willis his wife in the next room looked puzzled - it seems she forgot she killed him straight after she did it.

I saw 'Now you see him' yesterday and I timed it as 21.46 minutes, almost the same time as the film mentioned above which was 22 minutes, I wonder if this was a coincidence or were the writers aiming for a similar time in each Columbo if possible?

I saw 'Identity Crisis' yesterday, Columbo's first on screen appearence was 12.08 minutes

I saw 'An exercise in fatality' yesterday (faked barbell crushing neck accident in gym) and the first on-screen appearance of Columbo was approx. 16.30 minutes

saw candidate for crime two days ago, his 1st appearence - 37 seconds

This is very cool stephen! I'm enjoying it!

Thanks

I watched 'Last salute to the commodore' two days ago and Columbo's first appearence was at 12.58 minutes

(all the times I have mentioned so far have not included the commercial break times)

I saw 'The Forgotten Lady' on TV again yesterday and got his first appearence as 21.54 minutes.

This is very interesting: at the end of it all this information could be placed somewhere on this web-site, couldn't it?

I'll try to add the records of some episodes (for instance, the two pilots).

I'll try to add the records of some episodes (for instance, the two pilots).

Nice one :)

Two days ago I watched;

'Death lends a Hand' with Culp and Milland and Columbo's first appearence was 15.08 minutes.

'The Conspiritors' about the IRA terrorists and Columbo's first appearence was 19.33 minutes.

Channel 5 (uk) showed two films in a row - were they trying to take viewers from the BBC who were showing a 'Monk' repeat? (with the original theme tune and 'Sharona' - brilliant!)

Unfortunately no Columbos on channel 5 this week

I think Prescription Murder is possibly the episode where Columbo appears latest. On my DVD I noted it as over half an hour Before our hero first appears.

Yesterday I watched Swan Song with J.Cash and Columbo's first appearance is at 21.10 minutes

Also, saw last monday Dagger of the mind; 14-07 minutes, first appearence

Yesterday I saw Double Exposure with Robert Culp where Columbo's first appearence was approx. 11.30 minutes followed by Try and catch Me (the locked in the safe episode) when his first appearence was 17.44 minutes

A few days ago I watched 'Murder In Malibu' when Columbo's first appearence was at 18.01 minutes.

Yesterday I watched Any Old Port in a Storm and Columbo's first appearence was 18.41 minutes

Last Monday channel 5 put another Columbo film - on at last! It was 'Columbo Goes To The Guillotine' where his first appearance was at 24 minutes 31 seconds.

(Channel 5 are showing another one later today)

Re: Re: Re: Columbo's first on-screen appearence in each film

Anyone want to take over and carry this on?

Last Monday I watched 'Murder - A Self Portrait' and Columbo's first appearence was 1 minute 29 seconds, unusually early and unusually he was only on briefly then was not seen again until the usual 20+ minutes.

Yesterday I watched 'Rest In Piece, Mrs Columbo' where Columbo's first appearence is 0 minutes, 0 seconds - that is, he is in the very first shot of the film, although it is from a distance and as the camera slowly zooms in he is recognisable at about 21 seconds.

Yesterday I watched 'Caution - Murder Can Be Hazardous To Your Health' where Columbo's first appearence was at 25 minute 55 seconds.

(I taped a Columbo - about a lottery, I can't remember the title - on Sunday but have not watched it yet.)

Yesterday I watched 'A Trace Of Murder' and Columbo's first appearence was at 17.35 minutes.

I recently watched REQUIEM FOR A FALLING STAR where Columbo's first appearence is around 9 minutes 15 seconds.

Interestingly in MURDER UNDER GLASS his first appearence was also around 9 minutes 15 seconds.

In RANSOM FOR A DEAD MAN his first appearence is at 11 minutes 52 seconds

Another one I saw recently was 'ETUDE IN BLACK' where Columbo's first appearence was a long time coming at 23 minutes 55 seconds.

Here's another one: A FRIEND IN DEED in which Columbo's first appearence is at 14 minutes 57 seconds.

I watched A CASE OF IMMUNITY (Elizondo) yesterday and Columbo's first appearence was at 6 minutes 32 seconds (not counting the trailer which was about 28 seconds)

quoting gregg...
"I think Prescription Murder is possibly the episode where Columbo appears latest. On my DVD I noted it as over half an hour Before our hero first appears."

i'm just bumping this up because of culpable's 'delayed detective' thread.

Can anyone add more?

:)

I'd love to in my spare time. I hope I'm not alone, because I love this thread.