The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

Yeah, Cassa, but we might have some new thrill-seekers here. :^)

Seriously, it's just a bit of cheap fun for the tabloid readers, but it has nothing to do with the quality of his work on "Columbo". I still think he was the single best "Columbo" villain, whatever he was like in his personal life.

Re: NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

Ted...a question........do you think it was really true. I read a bunch of stuff on it in the past...even to the point where Cassidy was involved with Jackie Kennedy's father!!....do you think this stuff holds any weight?

Re: Re: NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART

Honestly, Cass', I have no idea. Jack Cassidy was, I think, the sort of larger-than-life character who both was prone to do weird or outrageous stuff, and who also inspired gossips to make up weird or outrageous stuff about him. Sorting it all out is impossible -- at least, as to anything that happened in private.

Hi all....It's good to see you again. I love this place.

That is such a sad picture.

I just watched Jack Cassidy playing Ted Baxter's brother on on old episode of the Mary Tyler Moore Show. What fun to see him doing comedy, and what a perfect choice for the role. I loved Ted Knight, and I loved Jack Cassidy.

Laura, thanks for speaking up about this. Jack Cassidy was excellent in every role I've seen him in, including the one you mention, on MTM -- what perfect casting!

Other Jack Cassidy roles that stick in my mind: as John Barrymore, in the Rod Steiger movie "W.C. Fields and Me" (NOBODY else could have played this part!); and, highly recommended (and available on DVD from Amazon), in "The Andersonville Trials".

In the latter, Jack plays the sly Confederate defense lawyer, opposite the always super-dramatic William Shatner (obviously another Columbo alum, among others on this DVD!), with Shatner as the conflicted, tormented Union prosecutor. I expected all this to be way too hokey, but it is not so at all. It's a great watch!

Cassidy plays the part of a southern gentlemen in an episode of "Bewitched" titled, "Samantha Goes South For A Spell". Samantha, mistaken for her cousin Serena by a jealous witch named Brunhilda, gets sent back to live in the south just after the civil war. Her memory of the present and of Darrin is erased.

Cassidy is very funny as the drastically smooth and charming Rance Butler. He takes one look at Samantha and falls immediately in love with her. Darrin is sent back in time to get Samantha, but Samantha is more interested in Jack Cassidy than Dick York! (Wouldn't you?) Isabel Sanford (Louise Jefferson on "The Jeffersons") plays the part of Butler's maid who helps Samantha. It's a great episode that highlights Cassidy's talents.

oh, thank you! i will have to keep an eye out for the roles you mention, Ted. Headache, now that you mention it, i actually REMEMBER that rance butler episode. old bewitched episodes run in our area, and i will keep an eye out for it.

i was not even aware that Jack Cassidy died in a fire until i saw this thread. how very, very sad.