The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Which story?

Hi folks

Which of the revived (late 80s/90s?) "Columbo" story featured fountains outside a building that varied alongside music being played possibly by a cello/double bass?

It wasn't a 70s episode I'm sure.

Seemed very "Liberace" when I saw it several years ago.

Re: Which story?

Two possibilities come to mind:

1) It's All In The Game" (with Faye Dynaway as the murderer) had an early shot of a fountain -- it's in one of our "Goofs" sections, because you can see that the fountain is running backward. I don't remember the music.

2) "Sex And The Married Detective" had a comical, almost goofy scene with Columbo playing a tuba. And I believe it included an exterior shot of fountains splashing high and low, in time with the music.

Hope this helps.

Re: Which story?

I'm figuring you're thinking of "Sex And The Married Detective" as well. A very unnecessary scene in an otherwise very good episode from the 1990s episodes. The fountains are seen "dancing" along with the music. Perhaps this scene inspired the engineers who built the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas?! Obviously the episode was running under time and a scene was needed as a filler. Some character developement would have been a better choice.

Re: Re: Which story?

Yes, thanks folks .. the scene was the one in "Sex And The Married Detective" .. I'd blocked out Peter Falk playing the Tuba as the rather cringy comic scene it was!

I'm no expert on Vegas but I suspected at the time the dancing fountains might have been some reference to the city extravagance (or as mentioned before Liberace!).

Thanks again.

Re: Re: Re: Which story?

I'd often wondered about that odd scene and tried to figure out if it had something to do (just symbolic?) with the plot and never could determine anything. The suggestion it is just a "filler" makes the most sense. Then again, the theme that the detective is trying to "play" him, and it turns out that she has to "dance" to his tune . . . okay maybe I'm grasping here.