The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: 4th season screen shots

First off, Universal would likely do Season 5 stand-alone since that's seven episodes, and then they would do Seasons 6-7 together for eight episodes. We can't shortchange the number of NBC seasons there was! :)

At the same time, we could be in trouble if there's a music hang-up issue on "Now You See It" because Universal has developed a notorious track record of replacing music in episodes of TV shows on DVD releases with generic junk. Seasons 2 on of "Quantum Leap" have been the worst offenders in this category.

However, one thing in our favor is the fact that when "Charade" is performed it's being done by a live singer rather than being heard on a record, which almost certainly would lead to a cheap replacement issue. For that reason, we might get by, just as I don't anticipate a hang-up on "Forgotten Lady" because of the scene where Ned and Grace sing "Speak Low" together (that comes from the musical "One Touch Of Venus", which isn't a Universal property in any way, shape or form).

Re: Re: Re: 4th season screen shots

Season 5 had six episodes. But I do agree that seasons 6 & 7 would go together better Versus releasing just 5 episodes of season 7. Of course they could get creative and release season 7 with the 4 1989 episodes AKA season 8.

"Now You See Him" made it to the Japanese DVD release with the what appears to be the Mancini pieces in place(Although I have noticed that episode runs shorter than other 2 hour episodes). I would think whatever legal hurdle there was would have to have been corrected before the Japanese release came out and that's at least 3 years old. But maybe that's a different story for a US release.

Speaking about IF there will be future releases...Did anyone notice that they did't annouce (at least last time I checked) the next seasons of McMillan & Wife or McCloud? I would have expected those to be released with season 4 since they were both part of the NBC Mystery Movie with Columbo.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 4th season screen shots

Universal is releasing its series based on one factor only: Sales. They released a bunch of shows that are now likely to stay stuck at Season 1 for a long time to come. Case in point is how "Night Gallery's" first season was released two weeks *before* Season 1 of Columbo was released and we're still waiting for Season 2 of that. Don't count on Season 2 of "Kojak" any time soon, especially with the failure of the misguided USA remake of the show. And of the three Jack Webb shows released last year, only "Emergency" has its second season announced so far (even though "Dragnet" came out much sooner).

"McMillan And Wife" and "McCloud" I fear are going to stay stuck for ahile to come. I know that "McCloud" fans weren't happy over the fact that Season 1 episodes were not restored to their original 60 minute format but instead were relased in the combined 90 minute format for later syndication and that might have driven down sales overall.

Re: 4th season screen shots

My mistake. I see that season five is actually six episodes so that probably would be released on its own. I really hope they get all the original NBC seasons out. I don't mind paying a little extra for season 5 because of music rights or whatnot. Although if they raise the prices it'd be nice if they step it up in the special features dept.

Re: 4th season screen shots

I enjoyed watching reruns of "McMillan and Wife" on A&E and the Hallmark Channel, but it is nothing I would ever need to buy and own on DVD. And I never cared for "McCloud." I was only able to sit through about 4 or 5 episodes. Just because something may be associated with "Columbo" doesn't necessarily mean it deserves the same treatment.