The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: can you name a few episodes where columbo loses his temper???

it is definitely fun to see columbo outside of his usual persona. i also really enjoy the scene in "the most crucial game," where columbo interrogates ralph dobbs. although he doesn't lose his temper, he is definitely playing a different role than the polite, deferential, and disorganized lieutenant he chooses to be in most of his interactions with the high-class murderers. with dobbs, he is utterly in control and so certain of his power that he doesn't need to lose his temper. he is not meek or disorganized in the least. i love it.

Re: can you name a few episodes where columbo loses his temper???

oh wow...i love that scene too laura!
he has such a dry sarcasm in that scene that i don't know if we see anywhere else.

Re: Re: can you name a few episodes where columbo loses his temper???

Columbo also shows irritation at trumpeter Paul Rifkin (played by the underrated actor James Olson)
in "Etude in Black" when he saracastically mentions
that it is not natural for a jilted boyfriend not to be interested in the identity of the man his girlfriend dumped him for (especially an "important" man as Jennifer Welles told him).
I love episodes where he shows anger or irritation. It makes him more human. Although he has endearing habits and eccentricities, I don't like it when they
exaggerate them and make him goofy (e.g. "Last Salute to the Commmodore, or "Make Me a Perfect Murder" which is otherwise a very good episode.)>

Re: Re: Re: can you name a few episodes where columbo loses his temper???

i dont think columbo gets actually mad at the trumpeter..i think he tries to outshout him to get him to his senses...i think it was a ploy on columbo's part