The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Some Like it Hot

Little trivia for you:

In "Some Like it Hot", Nehemiah Persoff's character was supposed to be loosely Al Capone.

Also the guy that was tossing the coin and talking to George Raft was Edward G. Robinsons son. They wanted to get Edward G. Robinson but settled for his son. It also gave George Raft a chance to deliver his funniest line, when he asked the guy tossing the coin "Where did you learn a cheap trick like that?". Flipping a coin was one of George Rafts trademarks.

Nehemiah Persoff also played in the TV version of "The Untouchables" as Al Capones "accountant" Jake 'Greasy Thumb' Guzik.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Your ears did not deceive you Michael. I did a search on imdb and George Raft's character's name is indeed Spats Colombo...different spelling, but the same name. And I also noticed that Nehemiah Persoff was also in the movie....that sweaty, shrimp-eating boss from Now You See Him.

Re: Re: Re: Some Like it Hot

I noticed Edward G. Robinson in the credits but didn't spot him--so his son must be a junior. I've always known about the George Raft coin-tossing, but was there a particular film he was noted for that? Yeah, that was a good line.

Re: Some Like it Hot

Oh Peck!! I always enjoy your delicious trivia and knowledge! Thanks!! That was really cool stuff. I appreciate it.

Re: Re: Some Like it Hot

Continuing on with trivia, the Florida Hotel in "Some Like It Hot" was actually the Coronada Hotel in California:

http://oldpowerman.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/r0301182.jpg

which ironically I think the Grand Floridian Hotel in Disney World is modeled after.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Oh Peck!! I always enjoy your delicious trivia and knowledge! Thanks!! That was really cool stuff. I appreciate it.