The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dagger of the Mind

Oh WoW! you mean Mike the Mechanic?? I never knew that! Very observant of you!

Re: Re: Dagger of the Mind

Awww, that's very kind of you, sir, thank you very much. Say, er, where can I get shoes like yours for about $19.00??

I think in the case of Honor Blackman, getting her to come to the US for additional shots would have been the trickier part since she's always stayed based in England and "Dagger Of The Mind" represents one of the very few things she's done for a principally American audience in the post-Goldfinger era.

I think the cast and the atmosphere makes this one of the best Columbo episodes ever, certainly in my top three of post-Season 1 episodes.

Yes, it's not really a bad show at all, but I'm sure most Americans believe that English Chief Superintendents really do say, "By Jove!" like Durk in that episode. Other famous English cliches used by American writers in TV shows of that era include, "Lord love a duck!", "didn't mean any 'arm, guv'ner!", and "they say there's bin a 'orrible murder in Whitechapel!" Hopefully, they've all thrown away their Dick Van **** "Murray Poppins" book of English slang by now. All together now: "Oh it's a jolly 'olliday with Murray..."

How curious...just previewed this message and it censored D y k e. Political correctness here?? Oh no, surely not?

I have always enjoyed this episode. The ending may be a bit weak, but I think it is highly amusing. I love that horrified look on Lily's face when Nicholas starts going crazy.

Re: Re: Re: Dagger of the Mind

"How curious...just previewed this message and it censored D y k e. Political correctness here?? Oh no, surely not?"

Of a kind. Try typing in the name of Blackman's Goldfinger character and the same thing will happen. :)

One other thing about the cast in this episode is that both Arthur Malet and Bernard Fox appeared in one of the funniest episodes of The Dick Van **** Show, "Never Bathe On Saturday" which involves Laura Petrie being stuck in a hotel bathtub because her toe is caught in the drain pipe. Fox plays an overly ambitious house detective while Malet, in age makeup gets one of the biggest laughs ever when as he slowly saws off the pipe to free Laura and Rob asks him if there's a reason why he can't go any faster. Malet, in his typical accent goes, "The very best one. I'm seventy-four years old!"