The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Music on "Etude in Black"

OH DEAR!!! thank you so much YM!!! You saved me from having to look for the note I made to myself 3 years ago, when I jotted down the names of the musical pieces!!!

Re: Re: Music on "Etude in Black"

Cassa-glad to be of service. BTW-have you
noticed how they beautifully timed the scene
near the beginning where Alex is moving fast
downstairs and they have his feet going EXACTLY
at the beat of the music?

That is so true YM. As he comes down that huge staircase it almost seems like some kind of dance. And even his movements throughout the entire beginning sequence seem to flow with the strains of the melody.

I know that the piece that Jennifer Wells is playing when she is hit over the head is Chopin's Etude #13. But I believe she is playing a different piece when John Cassavetes first enters the room.

Does anyone know the name of that piece?

Yes it's BWV 860 Prelude & Fugue No. 15 in G

Thank you.

It did very much sound like Bach. I thought maybe Chopin, based on the bird and the description of her playing, but I doubted it.

You know what, Nathan, every time I hear that Chopin Etude now I hear Chopin (the cockatoo) screaming as Alex whacks Jenifer. Crazy.

I'm a huge classical music fan so if there's anything else you need - ask!

Frank

i have a question...

what is Elliot Markham playing in his office when he was upset and playing the music loudly? I kind of liked that piece.

If it's what I think it is, it's part of the same piece that he plays when he's approaching Williamson Ranch in the fake nighttime car scene: Brahms Piano Concerto Number 2 in Bb.

Love those early TV night scenes - put a dark filter on the camera, shoot in sunshine (so it looks like moonshine), turn on the headlights and play chirping cricket sounds LOL