The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Unusual Favorites

Strange to read what you say regarding Short Fuse, because those are the arguments I always use. It is truly an atmosphere, and a really great cast!

Re: Unusual Favorites

I think A Deadly State of Mind is one of the top five ever, although I don't know that it's really underrated - I believe a lot of people on this board rate it highly.

Candidate for Crime is another one of my favorites, although trimming it to 90 minutes would have made it even better.

And I've always liked The Greenhouse Jungle. Ingenious murder plot... Columbo on the scene even before the victim gets it... a good final clue... and I have to say I always enjoyed Ray Milland's performance. A lot of people find it heavy-handed but I liked that for once a murderer was playing it for comedy.

I have a sentimental reason as well... The Greenhouse Jungle was the first Columbo I ever saw!

Re: Unusual Favorites

That's sweet Russell!

I would have to say my unusual favourite would be Old Fashioned Murder. I know a lot of people put it at the bottom of their list but I truly think it is a wonderful episode. The enchanting scenes within the museum are so enticing. I truly wish I could be there when there is that long silent scene of Columbo sitting in the room and becoming all enraptured by his surroundings.....wow!! let me pull up a chair next to him!!
And even though most people, including myself, agree that Joyce Van Patten's short role in Negative Reaction as the nun is so much more satisfying and delicious, I love her here too!
She plays the role so softly, and yet the fact that she has had to endure the indignity of her sister taking away her fiance years ago, she still remains with dignity and pride.
Take a look at this one again...and maybe some of you will like it better.