The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Columbo Cohort? Think Pink!

Columbo is truly one of the world's greatest detectives. We all know that. This post is about another great detective. Well, maybe not "great".

In a recent post, some of us were talking about the then upcoming movie, "The Pink Panther" starring Steve Martin. I myself wrote some negative things about the movie based on some coming attractions I had seen. Those attractions truly were not all that funny. I even unhumbled myself by suggesting a better joke for a scene from those attractions.

Anywho...

After reading some bad reviews of the film, as well as "watching" some bad reviews of the film, I have now actually seen the film.

It's hysterical!

I didn't think I could ever "see" Steve Martin in the role made so wonderfully famous by the late, great Peter Sellers. Indeed, I still don't. Sellers was Clouseau and always will be. As I watched Steve Martin up on the screen, I couldn't help but see his Clouseau as a distantly-related relative to Sellers' Clouseau. With that interpretation in mind (and after arriving at the decision that all the French accents were absolutely awful on purpose), it made the rest of the movie more enjoyable.

Some jokes do fall somewhat flat. But most of the jokes don't just hit the mark, they destroy it! I won't go into detail on anything, but some of the best bits include scenes involving bicyclists, an index finger, a globe, camouflage suits, nice weather and what is probably the funniest explosion I have ever seen on a movie screen. (They definitely did not use the "best bits" for those coming attractions!)

The plot itself isn't all that involved, and I knew immediately where the Pink Panther diamond went. But that certainly doesn't stop this from being a fun movie. This version of "The Pink Panther" isn't a classic, it won't replace the original Peter Sellers movies and it won't change the world. But it did take my mind off my troubles for and hour and a half and it did make me - and the packed theatre audience I saw it with - laugh out loud numerous, NUMEROUS times.

I just felt I had to let you all know! And now... Back to "Columbo"!

Re: A Columbo Cohort? Think Pink!

Lieutenant, you have a stain on your cewt.

My what, sir?

Your cewt.

Uh, what?

YOUR CEWT, YOUR CEWT!

You mean my coat?

That ess what I said, your cewt!