The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Murder of a Rock Star / I don't get it

Please fill me in....If Creighton's law partner did realize that he had killed Marcy until after the fact, why would she have worn a disguise (mask of Creighton) while driving her car through a speed trap at the time of the murder so that a speeding ticket would provide him with an alibi?

Someone please let me know what I am missing because this is driving me nuts.

Thank you!

Re: Murder of a Rock Star / I don't get it

Sorry, I meant if she did NOT realize...

Re: Murder of a Rock Star / I don't get it

She figures it out as soon as she hears about the murder -- that's how she blackmails him (partnership, new office, future marriage, etc). And she says something like, "I wondered why you sent me out on that little research project", which apparently refers to some excuse he made, at the time, for asking her to do something as bizarre as driving through a red light while wearing a mask.

I suppose that, in TV terms, it's not implausible that a defense lawyer would want to research whether it is possible to fool a red-light camera. Plausible enough that his associate would do as she was told by her boss, without knowingly being part of a murder plot.

However, Creighton certainly should have known that she would see the real reason for her mission, as soon as the murder came to light. I figure he assumed that she'd figure it out, and that since he took her to be as unethical and unprincipled as himself, he figured it would just be a matter of money to keep her quiet.

Re: Re: Murder of a Rock Star / I don't get it

Ted,
Thank you so much. As Lt. Columbo would say, "That explains it!"
-Lucinda