The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Past comments on 'Last salute to the commodore'?

"Fade into Murder" would have been an interesting idea for a finale, but I don't find the plot to be that ingenious. The final clue is also not particulary clever, and it seemed to come out of nowhere.

I enjoy "Last Salute" up until it's final scene. Part of why the episode loses me at that point is that that final scene just drones on and on and on until it begins to foam at the mouth and falls over backwards. WHOAAAA!!

But seriously, that final scene is much too long. But besides that... Is the final clue that reveals the true murderer a devasting blow that will put that murderer behind bars for the rest of his life? Well, is it???

All together now...

TISN'T!

Re: Re: Past comments on 'Last salute to the commodore'?

This is the episode where Peter Falk began to lose
control of the Columbo character. For some reason,
it was decided to make Columbo go from self-effacing
and mildly eccentric to arrogant and goofy. Fortunately, the 1970's episodes that were made after
"Last Salute" got things partly under control again,
although we see the "arrogant and goofy" Columbo come out again in "Make Me a Perfect Murder", although the episode is saved by an outstanding plot and great acting by Trish Van De Veer. I think the final episode "The Conspirators" had Falk return to form and it is a fine episode. From the 4 or 5 episodes of the 1980s revival I have seen, the producers and Falk decided to go permanently with
"arrogant and goofy" which ruined the new series for me and I have given up on it and do not watch them.
This is why I do not rate Peter Falk, as much as I love Columbo, as an actor with the real greats like James Garner.

I somewhat agree. I enjoy Peter Falk as Columbo, but I am not necessarily a fan of everything Peter Falk is in. And I generally don't go out of my way to see anything just because Peter Falk is in it.

Just thought I would bump this moldy oldie up a few years as the quality of "Last Salute" has come up again.

thanks for the update (as a new forum member, I see that many of these questions have been debated before) Re. Commodore, George Robinson pretty much summed it up.

I understand why many Columbo fans do not like this episode as it is quite different from the other ones. Just like many fans do not like Undercover and No Time to Die.. And I have to say that none of the three are among my "very" favorites. And there is no doubt that Last Salute to the Commodore is my least favorite of the 70's ones.

But I still love these episodes nonetheless, I watch them reguarly and enjoy them every time. It is very interesting that they tried to do something different, and it adds diversity to the show. Personally I am glad they made them.

Nowadays I think it's strangely good, it is what it is, go with the flow and enjoy the weirdness!
And it always makes me think of The Blue Blood Of The Bilkos :)))