The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Did he forget?

In Murder Under Glass Columbo conducts a conversation with a witness in Italian. On the Columbo Quiz portion of this website it states that Columbo spoke more than two languages. But, if I remember correctly, in Strange Bedfellows when the Rod Steiger character speaks Italian to Columbo the Lt. claims he doesn't speak the language. Did he forget? Maybe he was playing dumb to keep his distance from a person that he didn't like, but needed to nail the killer?

Are Italian and Sicilian different languages or are they basically the same? I assume that a person that speaks one would understand the other.

Re: Did he forget?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_language

I think it is because of what you pointed out...that he wanted to keep his distance.

Re: Did he forget?

Agree with Cassa'. Columbo shows a certain insolence (excellent acting here) when he tells Steiger that he doesn't speak Italian.

As I see it, Steiger's character is attempting to draw Columbo into a little web of solidarity, by invoking their common language. And when Columbo responds by pretending that he does not speak Italian, he is intentionally lying to the mafioso's face -- note how Columbo glares at him -- as a way of telling him, "You are a criminal and I am a policeman -- so, I do NOT consider you my paisan!"

Steiger probably knows perfectly well that Columbo speaks Italian, which is why the insult stings.