The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Never mind the wife...

Scott if you go to the Scrapebook section on this site you will see a topic called Columbo's Family Album...click on it and scroll down...it lists the different references to children.

Re: Never mind the wife...

There is a specific reference to children in "Any Old Port in a Storm" when Columbo is at the "high dollar" restaurant with Carsini and his secretary. He says something to the effect that they could not get a babysitter because their regular girl was studying for finals and everyone else was at a rock concert.

Re: Re: Never mind the wife...

The web site even delves into whether there really is a Mrs. Columbo.

In Troubled Waters, his statements have no apparent motive other than the face value.

H e talks to her on the phone in several episodes. He does things for her.

Despite an obvious reference to kids in a few places, unlike references to the wife, he is never going to a kid's graduation, or school PTA meeting or little league game, etc.

Like Peter Falk says about Kate Mulgrew, she was the wife of another cop also named Columbo. So the kids can be rationalized away, particularly if it's argued that it's a convenient lie or excuse.

Except when Daryl and the other brother (to Larry) Daryl talked for the first time in the very last of Bob Newhart show, like that, I hope we never really see Mrs. C., it keeps the fun and mystery going.

It reminds me of the Dick"VanDyke" show episode where we never saw her but all of America envisioned her in that bathtub with the toe stuck in the faucet.

Sort of like life without TV. Radio was king and your imagination played the video.
I have to admit that I can remember some of that.