The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: What is YOUR particular vision of Mrs. Columbo?

AMEN TO THAT!

Re: What is YOUR particular vision of Mrs. Columbo?

Ok Bob...I'm am not trying to be funny here in the least. You have asked a very legitimate question. And I will answer you honestly...and at the same time I am revealing a secret I never have on this site.
ok....

The image I have in my head of Mrs. Columbo....well...um...it is an image of me. I'm not trying to sound self-serving or anything like that..and it is not that I fantasize about being the Mrs.....it is just what I conjure up in my head when I think of Columbo's wife....me..or something close.
My picture has been posted here before and some people know what I look like.
Dark hair, dark eyes, 100% Italian, curvy (another way of saying "she likes a good meal" )...but all in all..not bad looking...not great...but not bad. And I tend to be a very happy person, and I think Columbo's wife would be a very happy person too.
(again..these are only my thoughts.. )

...and there we have it ladies and gentlemen...Mrs. Columbo is..... Cassavettes

You know Cassa... you're right! I've seen your photo and yes, you do strike a "resemblance" to my image of Mrs. Columbo.

Though Columbo has given little descriptions of his wife here and there, ("I like a woman who is a little... well, uh...") the one actress I really could see in the role is (and has been for a long time) Suzanne Pleshette. The dark hair, the complexsion, the amazing sexiness and the intelligence. I don't just see her playing her Emily Hartley character from "The Bob Newhart Show" or her insecure Helen Stewart from "Dead Weight". Her version of Mrs. Columbo would be the perfect Italian wife and the perfect companion for the Lieutenant.

Can't you just see Suzanne Pleshette as Mrs. Columbo as she gives the Lieutenant that brand new raincoat seen in "Now You See Him"? Can't you just see how he doesn't want to hurt her feelings by expressing his hatred of the coat to her? The look in her eyes? His recognition of the look in her eyes?

Other than Suzanne Pleshette as Mrs. Columbo... ? Hmmmm. I know... Jeri Ryan!!!

You are right on the money-Suzanne Pleshette would fit the bill. BTW-even though I think she is a fine actress, I can't stand her as Emily Hartley "O Bob-you're so wonderful!". Bob needed a wife who was more neurotic (like his patients) and critical of him without going overboard.

Re: Re: Re: What is YOUR particular vision of Mrs. Columbo?

I can maybe see Suzanne P. doing paint-by-numbers pictures, but not sure about seeing her in a bowling league.

I can definitely see Suzanne Pleshette as his wife. It's really quite a good choice. She could be soft and demure but she could also be forceful and demanding and she could also be quite loving to her husband. I could see her getting a big kick out of him.

Emily!
What is it now Bob?
You're not going to believe this?
What?
Everybody's having a dream that you're not my wife anymore!
What?
Well, there was this TV detective, and he really was a bumbler, and his wife could solve the mysteries on TV better than he could, and now everyone thinks that you are his wife.
That's it Bob! No more chili for supper for you.
By the way Bob, I saw this great sweater at Bloomingdales today.....

I Mrs Columbo should remain in our imaginations and not be named.
She would perhaps be like Mrs Benedict(Blyth Danner) or perhaps Mrs Goodland wife of Bradford Dillman,or is that to posh ?
I'm curious as to who cassavetes45 is surely is this person related to the late John Cassavetes.Fan.

Nick you are very sweet...and I take what you said as a wonderful compliment.
But no, I'm not related to John Cassavetes...I'm just a loving fan of him and his work.