The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Columbo's Toughest Assignment

A Case of Immunity.
Although the killer made some serious blunders that led directly to him, the fact that he had diplomatic immunity was a big hurdle for Columbo. The Lt. had to deal with the State Department, the security people of a foreign country at the embassy, the higher ups at his own department, he had to make several visits to headquarters where he never seems to go and HE HAD TO WEAR A TUXEDO. And after all that the Lt. needed the help of the King to finally nail his killer.

That was a very tough one cass.... but his personal feelings need to be over lookede in this.....yes, it was great but his arrest of ned diamond was only a quick fix

Re: Columbo's Toughest Assignment

as i said, fred...i know that wasn't the type of answer you were looking for, but it was the first thing to enter my mind after reading the title of your thread..'columbo's toughest assignment'.
i'll think of a better answer

Hi
It's got to be with Therodore Bikel,how the Lt entices the baddy to re-enact the crime for him.Also not forgetting showing the baddy he is wearing gloves in "Suitable for Framing".
I haven't got series 4 yet but hope to soon,The mind game with Bill Shatner as the TV detective must count as one of columbo's best goals, also not forgetting the mind game with Robert Conrad.I was quite surprised to see so much interest in a detective for so long.Am i an anorak or what ?

Based on the literal question you raised, how about his literal answer to Faye Dunaway in "It's All in the Game".

Can you solve this case without a confession lieutenant?

Not only does he say NO, but he portrays a frustrated downcast countenance.

Isn't it also in "All In The Game" that the murderess asks Columbo how long it took him to solve his most difficult case. Columbo responds something like, "14 years."

This would make "interesting nod to the viewer" sense if it had been 14 years between "The Conspirators" and "Columbo Goes To The Guillotine". But it wasn't actually that long a period of time.

In terms of sheer leg-work..I think How to Dial a Murder was a pretty tough assignment.
Columbo had to go out to that ghost town, visit laurel and hardy when they were confined, visit the animal trainer where he had to stay up all night long..and all the while had to deal with Dr. Mason's mind games..figuratively and literally.
And to top it all off he had to possibly risk his own life...what if the animal trainer's reversal of the dogs hadn't worked correctly.

I find it odd that in "A Friend in Deed" that Columbo
doesn't resist more the idea that the Deputy Police Commissioner did it. I would think that he would find it incredible, but he glomms onto him just like the other suspects.

Re: Re: Re: Columbo's Toughest Assignment

I think right from the get-go Columbo had all these little things as usual that bothered him and the Super was too sure of the burglar accusations.

I always thought he came close with Johhny Cash. Cash had it in the bag, he was on that flight and away...