The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LOCATION SITES AND MANSIONS

Hello Fellow Columbo Cronies
I'm 47 and have been a Columbo / Falk fan for as long as I can remember. In fact, when we had to do a scene from a play for a final grade in my high school drama class, I played the good Lt. in a scene from "Prescription: Murder". Ah, to have walked in the trench coat but once.
Anyway, I'm interested in finding some of the Columbo location sites and where some of the mansions that were used are located and was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out? I know that silent comic
Harlod Lloyd's mansion, "Green Acres" was used in an
episode and Internet Movie Database has a few location
listings, but otherwise I've been unable to find any
listed on the internet. I'd appreciate whatever help you might toss my way.
Take care
Bob

Re: LOCATION SITES AND MANSIONS

I will repeat what I have mentioned in previous threads....I lived in Los Angeles (actually the
San Fernando Valley, which is where Universal Studios
is located) when the show was being produced, so I
recognize many locations.
For example, in "Requiem for a Falling Star", Columbo
runs into Nora Chandler and her journalist "friend" Jerry Parks at Sportsmen's Lodge restaurant on Ventura Blvd in Studio City.
In "Identity Crisis", Columbo meets "The Chief" at Travel Town in Griffith Park.
In "Make Me A Perfect Murder", Columbo has his car accident in Studio City, on or near Ventura Blvd. (I lived a few blocks from there).
In "Blueprint for Murder", the building site is
in Century City in West Los Angeles.
Of course, although "By Dawn's Early Light" was supposedly taking place in Los Angeles, it was filmed
at The Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina, and my wife had the privilege of being present of at the filming and she snapped a photo of it, which I had posted here.
In "The Conspirators", near the end, we see Columbo's
car cruising on the long, high Vincent Thomas Bridge
on Terminal Island near the ports of Los Angeles (San Pedro) and Long Beach.

Re: Re: LOCATION SITES AND MANSIONS

Also see the Scrapbook article, "Columbo Flashbacks", for photos and discussion of the recurring house used in "Prescription: Murder" and other episodes. The house is pretty well known among architecture buffs, and the article includes the address, I believe.

welcome to the site...youhave some great columbo buffs here who could answer most if not all of your questions...they are the best!!!

I noticed something concerning Colubmo locations the other day. The Van Wyck house in Playback and the Donner house in Deadly State of Mind are the same house! Both have steps leading down from one room into two adjacent rooms at 90 degrees from each other. The door to the house enters at this upper level in Playback but the door appears to be covered up by a piece of furniture in State. The fireplace is in the same location in both episodes. Check this out to see if I'm on to something here.

I was watching Columbo: Fade in to Murder and also Columbo: Butterfly in Shades of Grey with william shatner now im not positive but both of the houses owned by shatner *in the episodes* seem to be the same house.The driveways and styles are too similiar.Can anyone shed light on this?..is it possible that it is actually william shatners house?Just a bit coincidental to use the same location in different episodes with the only link being shatner over so many years

I watched a few bits and pieces of TVLand's "Benson" marathon last weekend, and the governor's mansion (exterior) looks a lot like Alex Benedict's mansion in "Etude in Black." I don't know if my eyes were playing tricks on me, or if it could have been the same mansion.

Where was the house in "Murder by the Book" and "The Most Crucial Game?"

Also the house in "Dagger of the Mind"?

Yes, the "Benson" house is the "Etude in Black" house. In Pasadena, CA.

Sherlock, the "Murder By The Book"/"Most Crucial Game" house is the one I was talking about before -- it was also in "Prescription: Murder". You'll find a whole discussion of that house in the Scrapbook article, "Columbo Flashback". It's called Stahl House.

The mansion used in "Etude In Black" is the same mansion seen in "Benson" and if I'm remembering correctly, it is also the house used in "Fresh Prince Of Bel Aire". That house pops up a lot in TV shows and movies. However, it is NOT the same house as Jarvis Goodland's in "Greenhouse Jungle". I myself made that mistake but then I looked at it closer. The Goodland house is not the same as the Bennidict house. They do look alike however.

i made that same mistake too. i thought alex's house and goodland's house were the same at one point also....they are close, but no cigar..
(oh darnit! i searched fo a cigar icon but there wasn't one.