The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Columbo vs. Perry Mason

It was in "Ransom for a Dead Man". Leslie Williams
accuses Columbo of using the "Perry Mason method" to break her down, by spreading supposedly false accusations about her, destroying her reputation.

Re: Columbo vs. Perry Mason

Actually, this one is quite easy. Perry would be able to get off Ned Diamond in Forgotten Lady. Remember, Ned confesses to the crime we all, including Columbo, know he didn't commit.

Re: Columbo vs. Perry Mason

Excellent John!!

Re: Re: Columbo vs. Perry Mason

Perry Mason really did lose one case. But it was not the scenario where a conviction was overturned because the real murderer was identified (although that did happen once or twice!)
I remember taping a Perry Mason when in advance (a re-run) they advertiesed he lost the case, but it was the overturned or reversed scenario.
I finally did tape a Perry Mason where his loss is really documented....but it was as follows.....
The beginning of the episode has Perry somewhat informally chatting with the Judge played by Robert Middleton. The judge says something to the effect that he (Perry) could {maybe} have won if he had argued thus and so .....etc., ...then the episode develops into a new unrelated story, which of course Perry wins.

So Perry's only documented TV loss is a reference point, not an episode. I think more than one involved an apparent loss before the final winning resolution.

It was not Columbo's job to prosecute. In his own words in at least one episode he says it's someone else's job to prosecute, judge and sentence.

Technically Columbo and Mason weren't playing each other and the subject question is a moot point.....but what do I know....I'm just a hair splitter with too much time on my hands...bothered by all those little things