The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hey Guys ....

Thanks for your kindness, Cassa, but I didn't take any offense at Mark's comments - there is truth in what he says. Here's a bit of background, which some of you know already.

When the site began, almost a decade ago, Stephen and I were single guys -- I was living with my 2 dogs in New Jersey, and Steve was building his expertise and his career as a web consultant in Scotland. I was very new to the internet, but an old hand at Columbo, while Stephen was more a major web site expert with a minor in Columbo fandom, and the combination clicked. There began a trans-Atlantic partnership that, over a period of years, built the web site that you see here. We've had a blast.

A couple of things, I won't deny, have changed since those glory days. First, both of us are now married, and I have a 5-year-old son -- many of you can understand how that impacts anybody's supply of free time.

Second, another major change was that Steve's job changed, so that it required huge amounts of travel around Europe -- he was rarely home long enough to use his web-building tools.

Third, while I think that in theory there is no end of ways to recombine and analyze Columbo data, I always had certain finite goals in mind, without which the site could never be considered anything like "complete". These included the "Mrs Columbo" article and the "Raincoat" article (both of which, I frankly consider to be the definitive works on their subjects), and finally the "Cigars" articles. At that point, I humbly submit, we had covered everything essential to "Columbo" -- and anything else was just "extras" for fun.

I think that some of the later articles have value, too -- like the "Shoes" article, or the "Fears and Phobias," and our bit of Columbo pre-history, accomplished by considerable travel for this purpose, detailing the 1960s TV-movie "Enough Rope".

And, Steve and I have always agreed that we will never consider the site truly "finished". I still have at least a half-dozen half-written articles on subjects like "Columbo and Technology," "Columbo and Animals," etc. A much bigger-scale, long-term project has been an ambitious re-working of the "Episode Guide", to include a lot more material, in a wider variety of categories of information, about each episode. But at some point, I think we're entitled to be satisfied that the subject has been done true justice. Beyond that, the really intersting ideas come from the fans, not from the site.

We have all seen "hit and run" sites where the authors have thrown something up, then moved on and clearly have no further interest in the site. Mark, I was pleased to note, made a point of recognizing that this is not the case here.

The Fan Forum demonstrates, every week and sometimes every day, that there's always a stimulating new way to look at something familiar and beloved. The Forum is the life's-blood of the site, and, in my opinion, always has been. The rest of the site is just a way to stimulate recollections and conversations, about a shared interest. This site is a community of friends, not a podium for canned lectures from the "expert" webmasters. I hope it stays that way.

And meanwhile, I promise that one of these days, Stephen and I, trans-Atlantically, will catch each other at home long enough to get something new onto the permanent parts of the site. This site is a book that will never be finished.

Thanks, to everybody, for keeping the site what it is -- truly the Ultimate gathering-place for friends of Columbo.

Re: Re: Hey Guys ....

Hi Ted & Stephen
Thanks for your response recently, answering my question about how the site got off the ground and who were the authors.
I never thought of getting the info from the forum, how silly of me.
Great site generally, this is my first attempt of writing on a website of any kind.Far too busy at home, work etc.
It was nice to read Cassa's views as well and realise that I'm not the only novice on the site, dare I say that ?
How nice it was to read comments from a whole host of fans,readers of the site including cassavetes45 with such a very memorable name. Best wishes to all.:)Keep up the good work.

It sometimes strikes me as kind of funny that I have from time to time communicated with you guys, (particularly Ted because he's been here since I first found this site),for quite a few years now, still really don't know you guys, yet consider you friends.
Maybe one day we'll get together at a convention or something.

Re: Re: Hey Guys ....

I would like to add my own words of appreciation.
During our day-to-day lives, there are frequently
difficulties,
but whenever I come onto the site I feel great.
As I have said before, I lived in Los Angeles and was a university student
when the show was being produced so it reflects a world I am quite familiar with, so it is a constant
reminder to me of "the good old days"
Keep up the good work!

Hey you guys... Have I told you lately that I love you? Did you ever know that your my heroes? I had a dream, I had an awesome dream! We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.

But seriously, you've got a friend in me. You've got a friend in me!

And hey, I mean that. All of you... you're all so... so... Beautiful.

this is sweet...

Headache: I love you, man.

what's not to love, right??!!!!!
are we feeling the love??????????? yay!!

See if this works...

John Cassavettes--> <--Cassa

ooooooooooooooo.....feeling tingly all over!! yay!!

Go easy on the prozac guys..