The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Agenda For Murder Question

I've often wondered how Columbo figured out that Oscar Finch and Senator Mackey made a "deal" many years back. ??

Re: Agenda For Murder Question

Don't forget, he was investigating a murder. The victim had a history with links to Finch's and Mackey's previous professional environs.

Case dropped...missing evidence...DA office...law firm....

Not much discussed in this episode...but what was the motive

Re: Agenda For Murder Question

The motive was that if Frank Staplin (sp?) spent one moment in jail, he would tell the press what happened in 1969. The scandal - whether provable or not - would render Finch and Mackey, "dead ducks in Washington." Agenda For Murder is my second favorite of the "new" Columbos, the first being Columbo Cries Wolf.

Re: Re: Agenda For Murder Question

Yes, I agree, but I did not mean my last comment to be a real question...in some Columbo's he really raises questions and discussion of motive....He didn't do it so much here.

Motive...brought up in most murder investigations....trials, etc.

My feeling is that these are stories to fit the Columbo "how's he gonna catch him" formula.

Much enjoyment is derived by trying to guess what he catches them on. On repeat viewing, knowing the plot lines, you can still enjoy the personality interplay.

This forum has lots of discussion on why this or that in many episodes...

I just felt that in this case, Finch and Mackey were great old pals. Whether directly referenced much or not in the film itself...Columbo had to be dealing with "what was the motive?"

Don't forget, the murder scene had little things that bothered Columbo. Finch's home was the last phone call made by the victim...

The detective had to at least wonder about any or all recent or more distant connections....thus I answered Fred.

Re: Re: Agenda For Murder Question

I liked this episode very much. However, I really didn't care for Columbo Cries Wolf. It reminded me (when Columbo tore up the yard) of Blueprint for Murder when he dug up the "pile."