The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: new quiz for tuesday

Okay, here are the answers to the quiz. I think.

1. Name the first thing Ken Franklin does that lets the viewer know he does not play by the rules.

In the opening sequence of the movie, we see Ken Franklin entering the parking structure through the "Exit Only" ramp.

2. Describe two pieces of furniture in the (immediate and extended) Columbo family.

Cassa got this one--the kidney-shaped coffee table and the cabinet with mirrors.

3. Name two episodes that mention a room full of smoke. (describe the incidents)

Fred gave two examples from the ABC episodes (Oscar Finch's office and the implication of smoking left by Wade Anders)--and Cassa and buckeyes got the two NBC examples (the "smoke-filled room" cliche mentioned by Nelson Hayward and Mrs. Ferris's first conversation with Columbo at the water fountain).

4. Name the most popular fruit for murderers to give to others. Support your answer with examples.

Cassa got one of these. Ken Franklin woos Lily LaSanka with fresh strawberries. I believe Dexter Paris gives Mrs. Peck strawberry tarts to take to her sister's house.

5. Name the episode in which Columbo litters.

In "Prescription Murder," Columbo opens an ice cream bar while stalking Joan Hudson outside the studio and lets the paper fall to the ground.

6. What color does Columbo claim to have painted his birdhouse, and why?

Cassa got this one. He painted it red to get an A in wood shop.

7. Name an episode in which Columbo speaks negatively about his body, and name a different episode in which he speaks positively about his body.

Cassa got half of this, citing Columbo's comment that his hands are too small to do card tricks. He also complains of being out of shape in "Exercise and Fatality." He praises his feet, specifically his exceptional arch, in "Double Shock."

8. What is a popular gift, it seems, to give murderers in celebration of important events? Support your answer with details.

Murderers seem to enjoy lighters as gifts. Dr. Collier lets Columbo borrow the lighter he received from his sister for his medical school graduation, and General Hollister lets Columbo use the lighter he received from his staff on his retirement from the service.

9. Name the link between "Columbo and the Murder of a Rock Star" and "Murder by the Book."

E got this one. Both episodes include the important clue of a champagne cork.

10. Name six people with whom Columbo has an interaction that includes either a mention of growing flowers or a gift of a flower.

Cassa got five of the six.

i. Beth Chadwick hands Columbo a flower when she tells him to go away after he shows her the impression of the key in the flowerpot.

ii. Elizabeth Van Wyck offers Columbo a flower for his wife.

iii. Col. Rumford talks about growing white roses at home.

iv. Jarvis Goodland talks about growing orchids and not being able to save Mrs. Columbo's african violet.

v. Janice Benedict talks about growing lapel flowers.

vi. Columbo asks for a memento, and Nora Chandler allows him to take a flower from the base of the fountain that doesn't run.

Bonus Questions:

A. Name a factual error in a plot description in The Columbo Phile. Bonus points if you can name a second instance (although the one I am thinking of is more unfortunate wording than an actual error).

i. The book says that Marcus Collier goes out to the beach house hoping to reason with Nadia Donner's husband. Unless there is a scene I am missing due to Bravo's enthusiastic editing of the episodes, Nadia actually asks him to meet her there for a tryst, and he does not expect her husband to be there.

ii. The plot description of "Lady in Waiting" talks about Bryce Chadwick coming through a window rather than a sliding glass door. Actually, the description does clarify that it is a full-length window; however, it later makes mention of how Bryce would have had grass on his shoes after "climbing through" the window, which sounds like an error in wording to me.

B. Name two episodes in which Columbo talks about why he became a cop.

Cassa got the first one. I swear there is another, but I can't remember it now. Maybe I dreamed it.