The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Columbo and his coffee

Something has been bothering me for a long time; on the Columbo quiz on this website, the answer to the question "How does Lt. Columbo take his coffee?" is "black." However, in "Try and Catch Me", he asks Abigail for three lumps of sugar in his coffee. Maybe I'm the only one to get fired up about this, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Re: Columbo and his coffee

Well, you can have sugar in black coffee, just no milk...

also, when he asks for black coffee in "deadly state of mind," he explains the request by saying that he is trying to lose weight. to me that sort of implies that black is not how he'd really rather have it.

I watched "Uneasy Lies the Crown" last night and he took it with just cream.

Re: Re: Columbo and his coffee

HE: How would you like your coffee?
SHE: 1 sugar & no cream.
HE: I'm sorry, we're out of cream. Would you like it with no milk instead?

The Quiz was written and sent to us by a fan, and I think it's generally accurate, but here's the scoop on Columbo's coffee:

He takes his coffee black in"Deadly State of Mind" although, as noted before, he mentions that he is trying to lose weight.

He also takes black coffee with his chili in "Dead Weight" -- and in "RIP, Mrs Columbo" he says he likes his coffee "hot, strong and black,...none of that de-caf stuff!"

But in "Uneasy Lies The Crown" he takes his coffee with "a touch of cream".

Also, for a guy who seems to eat nothing but chili, hot dogs, ice cream and hard-boiled eggs, Columbo enjoys a wide varety of beverages:

Tea - he takes tea with three (3) sugars in "Try And Catch Me". And with two(2)sugars in “Columbo Likes The Nightlife.”

Cream soda: "Deadly state of mind", again in "RIP, Mrs Columbo" -- then in "Strange Bedfellows" he tells mob chieftain Rod Steiger, "I'm a cream soda kind of guy...and you're not".

Ginger ale - "Now You See Him"

Would love some hot chocolate ("How To Dial A Murder")

Iced tea (with chili in fancy restaurant) - "Publish Or Perish"

Drinks beer ("The Conspirators")-- although he once gave it up (as well as chili and cigars) on a health kick - "An Exercise In Fatality"

Sparkling mineral water? "No thanks, just seltzer!" ("Publish Or Perish")

He appreciates a good sherry ("Grand Deceptions")

Root beer ("Murder In Malibu")

Scotch - "A Friend in Deed"

Red wine - "Identity Crisis"

Bourbon - "Prescription: Murder"

As Columbo himself says in "Publish Or Perish" - "I'll drink anything!"

I remember him drinking a beer at the bar in "Any Old Port In A Storm".

Columbo is also drinking a beer at the bar in "Any Old Port In A Storm".

neat to see it all in one place.

He also has root beer at the end of "Ransom for a Dead Man," and he has a Mighty Malt in "Lady in Waiting."

also bourbon, i think, in "Requiem for a Falling Star."

He'll drink *almost* everything. I don't think he was too fond of the carrot juice.

Thanks, for the additons, Laura! Your info will go into the vast Ultimate Columbo Archives, for the next time this subject comes up.

thanks, Ted! remember that he asks the waitress to hold the whipped cream on the Mighty Malt...

you should see what peter falk does in the movie 'mikey & nicky' just to get some half n' half for his friend's (john cassavetes) bad stomach!!!