The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Movies like Columbo

DEFINITELY Double Indemnity! And it is in my top 3 of all time favourite movies.
I could kiss Fred MacMurray everytime he calls Barbara Stanwyck 'Baby'.......and he does it a lot!!!

Re: Re: Movies like Columbo

Yeah, Double Indemnity is my favorite, too. While Barton Keys (Edward G. Robinson) doesn't have many of Columbo's habits (other than his cheap cigars), he has his share of eccentricities. He is persistent and works alone.

Sean, I just had to make mention of your mentioning Michael Caine's movie, "A Shock To The System". Terrific movie!

Re: Re: Movies like Columbo

My favorite line from "Shock to the System": "That's when I knew...she was a WITCH!"

Great soundtrack too!

Re: Re: Re: Movies like Columbo

The novel "Shock to the System" is good, too. I forget if Robert Barnard or Simon Brett wrote it back in the 80's I think.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Movies like Columbo

Since "Double Indemnity" has been mentioned, it's worth noting a deluxe DVD will be released on August 22 that will also include an obscure 1973 TV-movie remake of the film.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Movies like Columbo

Gee, who starred in the remake? And I wonder if the remake was based on the original film or the James Cain novel?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Movies like Columbo

Actually, according to the imdb listing it apparently was a faithful remake of the original film (running only in a 90 minute slot) and it actually employed three people associated with Columbo in Jack Smight (director), Stephen Bochco (teleplay) and Billy Goldenberg (music). It starred Richard Crenna and Samantha Eggar as the leads with Lee J. Cobb in the Robinson role.

i'll tell you this much...i would happily buy the dvd for the sake of the original double indemnity...but the remake?? no no...i wouldn't even watch it..........how could it ever compare with the perfection of the original???

well eric those are obviously 3 good actors there in the roles...but nothing will ever come close to the original for me....