The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OK, I gotta ask...

whatever could you mean fred????

sean (a.k.a 'various names' )...peter has done interviews over the past year stating that he would love to do another columbo...the problem is that he likes one particular script and the studio likes another one...so as it stands right now, they are still at an impasse.........stay tuned...

Re: Re: OK, I gotta ask...

I would love to see Columbo go on forever, too! But I don't think passing the torch is a very good idea. Once an actor has become so strongly identified with a character, anyone else in that role is bound to be a big disappointment. Any of us who grew up with Peter Sellers as Clouseau knows what I mean. No one else should ever play Fonzie, Archie Bunker and of course Columbo. Does anyone here remember Bea Arthurs attempt to step into John Cleeses Fawlty Towers Role?
'Nuff said!

Re: Re: Re: OK, I gotta ask...

Bea Arthur and Fawlty Towers?? You're kidding, I hope. I don't remember that series at all--or maybe it was cancelled after just a few episodes.

Re: Re: Re: Re: OK, I gotta ask...

Deadly serious! It was in the early eighties I believe, before Golden Girls. It was called Amanda's By The Sea. Bea Arthur played Amanda. Tony Rosario, a former SNL cast member, played Manuel. It tanked after a few episodes.

Re: OK, I gotta ask...

If anyone here ever saw a movie titled "A Shock to the System" starring Michael caine, recall there was a detective played by Will Patton who was a complete Columbo Jr. if ever there was one. From the absent-mindedness to the stick-to-the-suspect aspect of him, the mind games, etc.