The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Makes No Sense to Me

Max Barsini pursuades Columbo into doing a painting of him. While posing, Columbo plays Louise's dreams and we literally see the dream unfold. Why in one scene, inside of the dream, do we see Barsinin painting Columbo? In the dream? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Re: Makes No Sense to Me

Well, it's just a combination of scenes, I don't see anything bad in that.

I've mentioned before on this forum that Max Barsini was a nut case. All those digging dreams of Louise convinces me that he killed the old fart, then buried him in the basement of the restaurant. I'm going to have to watch it again to see the dream sequence that you are referring to.

If I can squeeze it in tonight, I will and offer you some feedback tomorrow.

Makes No Sense to Me

Me neither.

It's funny, because my gut just naturally rejects the post-1978 installments as having anything to do with the Columbo I know, and I haven't seen the one involving this character, but even the casual reviews prove I'm not missing out on anything.

However, against my acute instincts, I did sit and watch "Ashes to Ashes" when it came out, and just as I knew going in, all I remember about it is that it was more torturous a spectacle to witness, than its own title was painfully appropriate.

After this post yesterday, I watched Max Barsini again last night.

The dream sequence at first showed Columbo being painted under an arch in the street level floor of Vito's Bar. Then we see him on the platform in the room above the bar.

One inconsistancy I noted that as Louise was describing the opening of a door,it was pictured as the door upstairs. But the door being described was leading to the basement, which appeared as the next sequence.

I'm not so sure this was a pure combining of scenes. The dream had a mixed up quality to it - not unlike in real life I suppose.

Now take last night. I had this weird dream. Cassa was in it. She was at a Sherlock Holmes convention and was sneaking out the back door with John Cassavetes.

Just wait 'til I tell my wife about it when she returns from visiting her sick cousin in Toledo.

Re: Re: Makes No Sense to Me

Bob, now that's a scary dream.

Mr. Haynes, didn't you get blown up? I really don't have a problem with the later COlumbo episodes. With the exception of "No Time To Die."

bob branca said......
"Now take last night. I had this weird dream. Cassa was in it. She was at a Sherlock Holmes convention and was sneaking out the back door with John Cassavetes."

that could make for a rather odd dream bob, i definitely agree!
..........but the only problem is that it actually happened last night.....i don't know how you knew about it...were you there at the convention with us, and then relived it all in your dream??

oh....by the way...john says hi to you bob!