The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Other Shows - Same Plots

I saw an episode of Matlock recently where he used the exact same technique of catching someone on the witness stand as Columbo did for capturing a murderer. And the circumstances were the same as well. Coincidence? Doubtful. I wonder how many other shows out there (crime shows in particular) run as an alter-Columbo type of series. I've mentioned one, anyone else have ideas along this way?

My curious instinct says that if one puts his mind to it, we can see several spin-off's of COlumbo. But nothing will ever compare to the original.

My .02 cents worth.

Re: Other Shows - Same Plots

Stealing one's own material through recycled scripts from other shows is sad to say, a tradition that would go back to the days of radio when an old script would be dusted off to give the writers a respite or when there was an impasse in trying to come up with something.

This was easier to get away with in the days before home video existed and the audience's specific memories of older shows would be rather dulled by time and lack of exposure. Today, I don't think they can let themselves do that kind of thing any longer.

Steve, which Matlock was it, and what was the technique he used?

Just curious. I would be interested in hearing other examples of this, too, to see if I recognize any of them.

Re: Re: Other Shows - Same Plots

Laura you would have to go and ask me that...making me think. I'll come up with it and post as soon as I can.

ha ha...i didn't mean to make you THINK!

it's really not important. i was just curious. if you do think of it, it would be interesting to see.