The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Luis Montoya's Bullfighting Film

The recent threat about Ricardo Montalban got me wondering about the old film we see Luis Montoya watching at the beginning of the episode (A Matter of Honor). It is clearly an old film and the bullfighter we see in seems to be a much younger
Ricardo Montalban. Does anybody know if that is indeed a real movie he made about bullfighting in
his younger days, or was the film edited to put his
face in it, or was there some other actor who happened to look a lot like him?

Re: Luis Montoya's Bullfighting Film

There was a 1947 movie entitled "Fiesta" in which Ricardo played a young man being forced by his father to become a matador. But he didn't want to do it. He had a sister who wanted to do it and supposedly she dressed up to look like him (i.e., Ricardo's character - her brother -).

Supposedly the scipt called for her to look like him. For filming I don't know if she was made to look like him , or really for filming purposes, he himself played her playing him.

I suppose it could have been a clip from that film, if you feel it looked that much like him.

Now I have to watch it again tonight.

(YM: See my final post on Ricardo's thread) from the other day.

In the 1940's Motalban was nominated for a Mexican Academy award for the film "Santa" in which he played a bullfighter.

???????????? maybe this ??????????

Re: Re: Luis Montoya's Bullfighting Film

I never realized this bit of history about Ricardo Montalblan. I always thought that the clip in "A Matter of Honor" was filmed live and made to look as if it were years ago, similar to Anne Baxter in "Requiem For a Falling Star" dressed up as a man.

Interesting. I wonder the same thing every time I see it ... no doubt a young Montalban from some obscure film early in his career, but definitely Montalban, not his sister, and not as far back as 1940.

The clip in "A Matter of Honor" showing Ricardo Montalban as a young matador is from the film "Santa" (1943). There's a video on YouTube that shows highlights from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpUZi3z37eA